Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Victor Torch Handles: wh270fc-v vs 100fc
- - By rjm Date 07-14-2008 16:37
Hi all,

Can anyone help me with details on the wh270fc torch handle? It comes in a number of victor kits, and seems comparable to the 100fc--I'm told they take the same tips series. Thing is, I can't find any specs on the wh270, even on the victor site. This is about all I can find: http://snipurl.com/2xy78 [www_mythermadyne_com] . From what little I've found online, it seems to be a mid-range handle, which is what I'm looking for--something for light to medium duty with builtin flash/check valves.

Any comments or pointers to info are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Riley
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 07-14-2008 19:21
Good question.  The documentation I see is VERY sparse, but the pictures show the same torches.
However, what I gather from these press releases:

http://www.thermadynenewsroom.com/content/view/35/     and
http://www.gawda.org/News_pub/Indust_details.cfm?inID=120

is that Victor (under Thermodyne) recently made changes to their product line into a "good", "better", "best" style line, with the differentiation between the lines, being warranty, and accessory cost.
The Professional sets, appear to be cased in stainless toolboxes with 5 year warranties (and come with higher quality grade T hoses, and steel regulator gauge guards), the CutSkill in plastic toolboxes with 2 year warranties, and the Firepower in blow molded cases also with 2 year warranties.
So, with that understanding, the Professional line 315FC, CutSkill WH 370FC-V, and the Firepower WH 370FC-FC appear to be exactly the same torch (with different warranties).
And in your question, the Professional line 100FC, CutSkill WH 270FC-V, and Firepower WH 370FC-FS, also appear to be exactly the same torch.
So, the price difference in the kits, is probably because of the different cost of accessories, and the warranty, but the torches are the same (and who would mess with something as good as this)

Also new, are the HD310C torch, which is compatible with the 315FC, but is cheaper, because it comes without the flashback arrestors (so avoid this),
and the H315FC, which is a revamped 315FC designed for high flow rates (too big for me, but looks VERY nice).

Anyway, they're all a great choice.  I do everything with my 100FC, and hardly ever reach for the 315FC.  In fact, I only have the 315FC, because I noticed an auction on eBay, listing 50 feet of old cracked welding hose, with an old torch attached (which I recognized), and paid a song for the hose, which I promptly threw out.     :)     I will say, that if you're welding or brazing often with tips larger than Victor size 2, the longer handle of the 300 series, is more comfortable, from the extra heat.  Most of my work is with the 00, or 0, and every so often the 1 for larger things, so the 100 series is great.

-- Robert
Parent - - By rjm Date 07-14-2008 21:09
Robert,

Thanks for the links and the in-depth analysis. Looks like this torch fits the bill.

Riley
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-15-2008 03:50
    The flow caspactiy of that 100 series handle is OK for cutting 6" thick steel, but like Robert mentioned, You want Your hands farther away from the action with the bigger tips.

I have a 100 series torch on a little tote setup with a MC acetylene and a 20 cu.ft. Oxygen. I have NO IDEA why they pair up those little tanks with a mid size torch.
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 07-15-2008 06:17
I don't get the whole MC tank thing.  A B tank barely has longer life than a 16oz propane bottle.  MC's may have been fine for motorcycle headlights, but go larger than a "Little Torch", or Meco midget, and its just way too small to be useful. 
And on that note . . . whatever happened to Victor's J line of aviator torches?  Those were their small sized torches, and now everything appears to be starting at mid sized.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-16-2008 05:42
     You make a good point about the MC bottle, I could probably get almoast as good performance with a disposable MAPP cylinder and save a dollar and quite a few pounds of weight. For the things I use it for, and not real often at that, the tote setup is handy, but it should have come with the "J" torch, and I will probably put an aircraft size Purox that I have on it. The tote setup would run the Henrob/Dillon torch for pretty long too.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Victor Torch Handles: wh270fc-v vs 100fc