Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New here I have a a few questions
- - By Al84 Date 07-16-2008 23:16
Hello my name is Al Aguilar. I live in Dallas TX  and have been considering the trade school ATI. I was wondering does anyone have any experiance with the school? comments about them possitive or negative. Im very eager to get into welding and have thought about it for a long time. Any feedback will be appreciated thanks.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-17-2008 00:15 Edited 07-17-2008 22:33
Look at the teachers. Do they have list of experience in welding?
Why are they teaching? What do they do to prepare the students for real test.
Does the school have a good record of placing graduates in well paying jobs in the trade they have studied?

BABRT's
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-17-2008 16:25
Al, I'm kinda in the same boat as you, except I'm and old fella. I went to welding school around 1998 for about a year and it was good. Depends on what kind of welding your wanting to do. Production, Pipe, structural?? They will teach you the basics and you can use up their welding rod/wire and metal. I myself have been checking with the local Ironworkers/Pipefitters and Boilermakers. You work, they pay you and then you do training for 4-5 years and then your a journeyman which pays good. This way you can make money getting OJT and get the free training to boot. No big college bills to pay off in the future and so on. Just an option, good luck!  
Parent - By Al84 Date 07-18-2008 23:14
Thanks for the comments. Ill have to keep looking around until I figure things out. I spoke with someone from the school and Im going down there to check out their facility and see exactly what they offer.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New here I have a a few questions