Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / unique nuke photos
- - By hogan (****) Date 07-16-2008 22:48
here are a couple of photos of a nuke blast using an automatic camera situated 7 miles from blast with 10 foot lens. Shutter speed equaled 1/100,000,000 of-a-second exposure.

http://www.nevadasurveyor.com/atomicbomb/
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-17-2008 01:51
The evil that men do..........The cool stuff they make doing it! :-) S.W.

"Come on, Jump in the fire!" (Metallica, Jump In The Fire, Kill 'Em All LP)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-17-2008 02:17
Am I evil? Yes I am!

Am I evil? I am MAN!!

I am not sure where I have heard this but it seems applicable. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 07-17-2008 02:26
From the same band Steve quoted. " My mother was a witch.. she was burned alive" Wicked song even back when all I listened to was Haggard and Jones!
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-17-2008 03:22
:-)
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-17-2008 03:08
Metallica covered a few Diamondhead songs. I think that was one of the best. It really defined them. The Prince & Helpless were very good as well. Lightning To The Nations (Diamondhead) is actually an excellent album & the original songs were quite good. Way ahead of their time. Like most early British heavy metal.

Metallica's cover of Mercyful fate's "Curse Of The Pharaohs"....Not so enjoyable. There's only one King Diamond & one Micheal Denner. Sorry guys, can't go for that. :-) S.W.

"Way down in Egypt in the Valley of Kings....Where the mummified Pharaohs pretend dead in their sleep....Yeah.....Don't touch, never ever steal....Unless you're in for the kill.....Or you'll be hit, by the curse of the Pharaohs......." ( Curse Of The Pharaohs, Mercyful Fate, Melissa LP)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-17-2008 03:25 Edited 07-17-2008 03:31
I am trying to aquire tickets to BFD here in Dallas. :-)

I should have time to attend. LOL

jrw159

EDIT: August 9 2008 Ozzie, Metallica, Motley Crue, Buck Cherry, ect............ :-)
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 07-17-2008 13:25
Just went to rock star fest last Wednesday slipknot, disturbed and machine head, and many others. very good
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-17-2008 13:33
You're such a headbanger John. :-) S.W. (Lucky!)
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-23-2008 01:14
"Now I have become death, the destroyer of the worlds".... J. Robert Oppenheimer (1945)

Let's pray history does not repeat itself in this manner!
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 07-23-2008 16:50 Edited 07-23-2008 16:54
Of course you are absolutely right. Wasnt thinking about the fact that was a cover. So used to the Metallica version.
EDIT  This post obviously didnt land at its intended location. I swear I will learn to use this computer someday!
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 07-17-2008 11:59
Very neat! Thanks for sharing that.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 07-17-2008 13:47
Those are about the coolest picture I think I've ever seen.  I guess after the third exposure the blast had allready reached out 7 miles and took out the camera.  Wish they had more pics of that kind of stuff!! Simply facinating!!
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-17-2008 13:51
Looks just like a tiny universe being created.
MDK
Parent - - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 07-17-2008 22:38
Awesome pictures!

Anyone have any idea what test shot that was?

And the impossible question, what's with the shape of the blast cloud??? I would have thought that it would be a "perfect" sphere, anyone have any idea why it's not?
Showed the pics to my dad and the best he could figure out is something to do with the explosive lenses in the bomb...

thanks again for sharing the sweet find Hogan :)
-Clif
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-18-2008 16:30 Edited 07-18-2008 16:34
As the fireball rises, it changes shape from a sphere to a toroid--a donut shape--and begins to spread out into vapor as it cools, producing the familiar-looking mushroom cap of the cloud. The darker-colored stem is composed of surface material and water vapor drawn upward by the fireball.
a better description
The heat of the explosion creates an updraft and the air that is rising needs air to replace it so the air from the top of the cloud swoops down to replace the rising air taking the cloud down with it but the rising air pulls the cloud back up creating a spyral in the top outer layer of the cloud thus creating a mushroom cloud
mdk
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-18-2008 17:56
Cool stuff.
What cloud? All I see is an expanding field of energy and the guy wires are being consumed ahead of it.

I would credit that to fact there is something besides atmosphere to be consumed thus less resistance to the expansion.

The blast striking the Earth reflects most of the force straight back at its self creating the Doughnut and Mushroom.

No physicist here just my thoughts.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-24-2008 15:35
I'm pretty sure that the reasoning behind the mushroom cloud is nothing more then the debry and gasses hitting the bottom of the stratosphere therefore causing a mushroom like cloud.  If you ever watch those really bad thunderheads coming in, they take on a similar shape for the same reason.  That's when you know they're going to be bad because of how high they go. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.weatherquestions.com/troposphere.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_is_the_troposphere.htm&h=432&w=576&sz=24&tbnid=m52Y6VsgrQ0J::&tbnh=101&tbnw=134&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtroposphere&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&cd=1
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-24-2008 18:52
i think the hot air rising and cold air falling is a good take on the cloud effect.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 07-24-2008 19:27
Then the water molecules cling to the hot gasses and debry forming cloud crystals much like a contrail you see from a jet. Although there is debate where people say Contrails form through the injection of water vapor into the atmosphere by hot exhaust fumes from a jet engine. If there is sufficient mixing between the cold upper tropospheric air and the hot exhaust gases to produce a state of saturation, ice crystals will develop.  I believe they are formed from the water molecules clinging to the sute from the exhaust.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-25-2008 13:09
Agreed!
I was just noting that the Earth is what changed the expanding gas cloud from a sphere to Column rising straight up to the stratosphere.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-18-2008 20:48
In order for it to be a perfect sphere the reaction forces would have to spread out perfectly uniform in every single direction. A lot of the problems until they came up with hydrogen bombs, was the issue of getting all the fuel to react before it was expelled by the force of the explosion.  Due to imperfection in the shape of the charge It would be my guess that the resulting first micro seconds of explosion would not be uniform in all directions.

That's my guess

amazing photos, I just wonder how they A) timed the shutter so precisely
B) figured out the light intensity, exposure etc to get the shot just perfect? I'm guessing that had many shots that were completely under exposed, over exposed or miss timed by even a .00001 of a second.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-18-2008 21:58
would the atmosphere, proximity to the ground and stability of the reaction all play into the shape of the explosion? (and possibly the earths magnetic field, and gravity)
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-22-2008 15:21
I believe all the above play a factor. Although, I am looking at the energy traveling down/consuming the guy wires, and note the apparent hotter intensity of it and have to wonder if there was some other form of energy at play. It clearly out ran the main blast, no easy task considering the nature of the blast. Whatever the cause, it must be a guarded secret as I've been unable to turn up anything on it. If any of you find anything, please post it.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-22-2008 19:15
The website mentions electric engergy. My only guess is to do with the density/ conductance or some other property of metal that is different than the surrounding air. For example if it's electrical discharge obviously steel guy wires are better than air. It could also be something like the maximum speed of a wave at a given density as steel is denser. My guess is the steel allows for a faster expansion or is more conductive by one of it's properties.

just a guess.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 07-22-2008 19:37
good point
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-22-2008 19:55
I am no nuclear engineer, but I understood an explosion such as this was just that, rapidly expanding matter. The presences of electrical energy implies some mode of conversion. The streamers of energy look just like a lightning strike as evidence by multiple slow motion photographs that may be found.
It's my understand that a lightning strike is due to a potential difference between two different locations. This means there has to be an instantanious creating of electrical potential with the occurance of the blast. For this to be true, this energy would seem to be coming from the earth rather than the blast. I maybe I am just confused... who knows.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-22-2008 20:38 Edited 07-22-2008 20:40
If you look at the first pic, the blast appears to be traveling down the structure faster than the wires. It's not until the 2nd pic that the travel down the wires is as evident as the structure in 1st pic. Also, I found it interesting that it appears to have high and low pressure areas( that is how it looks in my mind, but I'm no nuke either ) in the first and second pics and expands vertically up and down quicker that out left and right, but is spherical by the third.

CWI555,
would an EMP account for electrical energy?
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 07-23-2008 01:19 Edited 07-23-2008 01:24
the spike effect we see is caused by a phenom called rope tricks @ 20,000 deg, 3 times the suns heat, the guide wire is vaporized ahead of the expanding ball. the wires become light emmiting plasma. the thermal radiation moves faster than the fireball causing spikes.
india pakastan and possibly N korea have not agreed to ban above ground testing and have detonated some within the last 10 years.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-23-2008 16:37
Given that the sun consist of an uncontrolled ball of fusing matter, I find it hard to believe that simply splitting the atom creates more heat the the copious amounts of nuclear fusion going on in the sun. I would have to see qualified and documented proof of that one.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-23-2008 17:32 Edited 07-23-2008 17:58
i think it all has to do with reaction rates the bomb needs to burn hotter than the sun because of low air preasure.......maybe.
Ive seen even greater estimits of the heat difference between the two.
The temperatures of fusion nuclear explosions can go up into the millions of kelvin.
5770 Kelvin is the surface temperature.  The solar atmosphere gets much
hotter, up to tens of millions of kelvins.  The interior temperature is also
much hotter still.
MDK
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-23-2008 16:32
possibily. I am still looking into it as non of the answers I've found so far seem to fit the bill.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-23-2008 01:06 Edited 07-23-2008 01:14
Since when did testing, above ground or below, of thermonuclear devices, resume?
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-23-2008 18:08
anyone ever hear about A natural nuclear fission reactor ?
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / unique nuke photos