Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cold bending
- - By rscotthale Date 12-19-2002 03:25
I have a connection plate on a column that has been bent approximately 30-45 degrees during loading. It is in a non-moment area. Can I cold bend the plate back to its original position or do I have to cut them out and replace them. I have been told that the plastic deformation, elongation, and yield points on this plate have been exceeded, and if I cold bend them back I will exceed them twice and this is not good. Does D1.1 address this issue (i cant find it)? Or, where can I find some sort of documentation? Any advice would be appreciated
thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-19-2002 13:03
If you are able to straighten, rather than replace, I would heat it, not to exceed 1100F, and pursuade it back into position. See Para. 8.5.5 in D1.1:2002 for the parameters. Might want to atleast do a MT inspection to make sure there are no detremental cracks that would hinder the service of this connection. How thick is this plate you are talking about? Also you may want to look on the contract drawing to check out the moment figure the engineer has come up with for loads on this connection. That might make the decision for you.
Keep us informed on your situation,
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cold bending