Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / airco hornet special
- - By timstv Date 07-17-2008 03:23
I have a airco hornet that has set for many years. I have got the motor to run, but can not get the unit to draw an arc. I have been told that it will need to be re-energized. Not sure how to do that. I am also missing the cover that has the schematic diagram on it for the unit. I would very much like to obtain a copy of the schematic in pdf or even just a really good digital picture. Any help on either of these subjects would be greatly appreciated..
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 07-17-2008 15:44
Is this machine  an  "  AIRCO  "   -  Miller    ?

If  it is  you  can  go  to the Miller machines  schematics   -
Parent - - By timstv Date 07-18-2008 02:50
It shows airco...is there a similarity to miller?
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 07-18-2008 16:20
if it  " looks "  like  a  Miller   chances  are you can  get  the schematic & manual  on  the miller web  site -

What  kind  (  F - 163  ?   ?   ?   or  an Onan  CCK  )  of engine  is on the welder  ?
Parent - - By timstv Date 07-19-2008 23:48
I have never seen a miller this old. It says Airco 200amp Hornet Special, model 2ddglmbc, sn e3736 c7. It has what I think is a continental 4 cylinder water cooled engine with updraft carburetion. I am guessing and have been told that it was probably built in the 50's.  Probably weighing well over 1200lbs... The armature has two large brushes for the welder and only one small brush that I think is for field excitation, which is the circuit that I think has the problem. I have been trying to track down the connections, but when it was built there was no thought of using different color wires.....so...they are all the same color..black. I am not even in the least predujudice, but I sure wish they had used more colors...  Any guidance or help will be greatly appreciated..Thanks for the help so far...I will check out the miller site also..
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-20-2008 04:37
   If You can figure out how to flash the field, do it. What this means is applying DC voltage to the field windings from an outside source. Not being familliar with this machine I can't tell You how to do it, but You might be able to figure it out if You study the machine for a while.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / airco hornet special