Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / help soothing burn eyes????
1 2 3 Previous Next  
- - By Greg Cole Date 07-16-2008 00:56
Can anyone give me tips on how to sooth burnt eyes? The potato is not helpin.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-16-2008 01:12
An Eye doc. can give you drops that will make it go away, most likely by the time you can get in to see one it will have gone away. Good luck. And your right Potatoes do not help.
Parent - - By Greg Cole Date 07-16-2008 01:15
Thank you for you quick reply. They have been burnt for 1.5 weeks and not getting beter, guess a couple days off might help. haha not in this trade.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-16-2008 01:18
What number filter and what process are you using.
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 07-16-2008 01:32
Dude, you should stop using the potatoes ... my eye doc told me they cause cateracts. Go to walmart and look in the pharmacy for  Celluvisc. That stuff IS THE BOMB!!! I bought two boxes so I would ALWAYS have it. If they have been burnt that long you really need medical attention. My wife is a RN and she said you are damaging your eyes... possibly permenently.
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 07-16-2008 02:22
My advise is to throw that lens away and regroup. Do you have blue eyes? If so, you need to consider a #11. I was in denial for awhile and used a #10 then I started to see spots ...all the time, not just while I was welding. I now use a #11 . I know that using a darker shade isn't  cool ,but being able to see to get to the bar is. I don't know how old you are, but you only got two eyes ...no trade-ins. Also , if you are welding in a closed area with other welders, you might be getting burned from the reflection of the flash. That happened to me once. We were welding inside a silo ,me and three other welders. I couldn't see for three days.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-16-2008 02:49
pypLynr is right I've got blue eyes and when I was learning to stick weld I used a 10 but when I moved on to learn to to tig I tried a number 10 for a day and by the next day my eyes were hurting felt extremely dry but not like that feeling people say with burnt eyes like they have sand in there eyes so I then tried a #11 and haven't looked back hell I even use this lense for mig and flux core and evern stick hell sometimes I've felt I could almost use a shade 12 for fluxcore welding. everyone I know that welds have dark color eyes and they all use like a number 10 but what I've heard people with blue eyes there eyes are more sensitive so you need a darker lense and this is very true.

Chris
Parent - - By rockin d (**) Date 07-16-2008 10:24
Do you use dark safety glasses under hood?
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-16-2008 21:30
no i usually just use clear safety glasses under my hood well not lately but I should more
Parent - - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 07-17-2008 19:16
""I could almost use a shade 12 for fluxcore welding.""

I use a shade 12 daily now for fluxcore. I tried an 11...too bright now..lol
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-18-2008 00:24
I've used my 11 for fluxcore but if I ever do it again heavily I sure will be getting a 12
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-16-2008 05:57
i dont know about the blue eye thing i have blue eyes and use a #10 and never had any trouble i tried an automatic lens once and that was all i needed of that seemed like it was on shade 8 i'm 40 yrs old an have always run a 10 lens and never had any trouble and yes go to the eye dr they'll give you some drops that kills the pain before you can blink once
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 10-18-2008 09:30
dang thats an old post I had to read it a couple of time to see what the hell I was talking about LOL
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-18-2008 15:18
well i'm a lil slow i was flat on my flat on my  back when this post came out
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 10-19-2008 15:13
haha oh yeah I try and make it back here but since this new job I'm not on here to much anymore.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-19-2008 18:36
i can understand that
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 10-20-2008 00:49
haven't welded with the sa200 in about 3 weeks but this weekend plan on finishing my trailer but have thought some about selling the sa but dam I hate to but who knows if it doens't get used I may have to and may go to something smaller but will try and hang on to it
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-20-2008 02:33
you spent all that time and money getting it going dont sell it they are very hard to ind these days
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 10-21-2008 00:10
really? well I'll hang onto it until it gets to the point I'm really not useing it at all because I hate to see something sit up when it could be really making sopmeone alot of money. I dought I'll go pipeline with it I've come to realize I really don't want to work that dam hard LOL not to sound lazy but I'm not sure if it is for me. I kinda like working for a big company and leting them pay for most of my health insurance and all, although you never know we could be into another depression I may need this welder to survive but yeah I'll try and hold onto it until it is to the point of really not being used at all.

Chris
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-21-2008 00:24
even then you need to keep it
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-21-2008 02:06
Every pipeline welder I know has health insurance and a pension as part of their total package. You are missinformed here.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 10-22-2008 00:04
but I would think there paying out there rear??
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-22-2008 00:30
Why pray tell would you think that?

It's all part of the benefit package, it doesn't come out of the welders wages/rig pay/perdiem.

Nothing is "paid for" by the "big company". YOU, as an employee generate a certain amount if income for the employer. That amount can be divided up in different ways. In the case of a 798 welder the hand recieves about 42 bucks wages, 15 bucks on the rig and 102.50 per diem plus a 16 dollar per hour benefit package that includes amung other things health insudance and pension.

There is real, accurate information out there, you really don't need to guess at it.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 10-22-2008 01:14
**** ok excuse me sorry for even speaking whatever
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-22-2008 03:15 Edited 10-22-2008 04:11
I'm trying to make it clear. Don't get offended by the facts.

You obviously didn't understand the system, and I explained it. Now you know just a bit more about it.

If you're that thin skinned that some dude you've never meet making a coment on the net gets to you, you would indeed have a hard time on a pipeline right of way, where the humor can be quite a bit harsher than anything you'll find on a welding forum : )

JTMcC.

I'll add that I would expect the same from you. If I had a question or was missinformed on some part of your everyday work week, I'd expect you to give me the real deal. What's hard there? Sounds too easy to me.

I'll also add : ) since this is waay of topic, that I've been welding for a living since '85 and haven't had a flash burn yet. I have no idea why cause I've certainly seen enought arcs struck without a hood. Strange but true.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 10-22-2008 23:17
ok thanks for the info
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-16-2008 01:33
You need PONOCANE ! the doctor or mexico is the only way to get it. You need to go to an Eye doctor. A regular M.D. will not give a script for it (or most of them wont) It is the miricale cure for burnt eyes
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-16-2008 01:39
Is ponocaine the new tetracaine?

jrw159
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-16-2008 01:44
same thing Ive had them both
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-16-2008 01:53
I still have an old 2oz bottle of the 2% tetracaine.

It is so old that I propably would not use it though, since the seal has been broken and the stuff is about 8 years old. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By rockin d (**) Date 07-16-2008 02:29
mexican medicine burns like a mthr.... but it works
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-16-2008 02:50
Same stuff, and the American made BURNS like a bi88* for about two seconds as well. LOL. But you do not feel any pain in the eye after. :-)

The IMPORTANT thing to understand about this product is that it is NOT something that you want to use while ON THE JOB!!!!

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!

Tetracaine=numbness and loss of feeling to pain. The 2% is CAINE.

Just like cocaine is if you put a little on your tuonge(sp) and it gives you a numb sensation. So I have heard back when I worked drilling rigs and pulling units in the oilfield.

If you use this while you are working/welding you will end up worse than you were when you when you went in!!

This is ONLY for use in the event of a burn that is MINOR. If you feel the need to use it the next morning, STOP and go see a doctor.

BTW I think this is a perscription type of application.

jrw159
Parent - - By rockin d (**) Date 07-16-2008 10:22
so i guess in the event of a drug screening it would be good to bring this up ? or it won't affect you in this manner. that's if you were to apply this med. the night before a D.S.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-16-2008 11:28
I do not believe there is enough in it to effect a drug test. But in the event of a drug test I would still mention it just in case. Better safe than sorry.

jrw159
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 07-16-2008 13:04
I work in a plastic surgeon's office, we use lots of these "caines" on a daily basis. They are no more than a numbing agent. Some are topical, for skin ie. lidocaine, benzocaine - some are for nerves, like they use at the dentist novicaine. All of these can also be injectable. They will not ever show up on a drug screening test. They quickly burn out of your body's system. They act similarly to the cocaine, obviously, but the drug tests test for the "coca" part of the cocaine.... hope that makes sense ;)

You do need to get your eyes checked, one if you are repeatedly getting small flashes and getting hurt that is a problem. Or worse if you had a severe enough burn to your eyes, you could have done damage enough to cells in your eyes that have died off and now are going to get infected - and if it got bad enough and left alone, you could actually lose your eyesight, or if it got really horrible you could lose your eye altogether. GO SEE AN EYE DOCTOR!!!!
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-16-2008 13:12
Wat's up Jenn!!!! :-) S.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-16-2008 13:10
The stuff the eye docs give you to numb pain is actually like a steroid. If you use it too long, it will actually cause permanent damage to your eyes. They gave me some every time I had to go in to get metal removed from them. I've been really unlucky with that. Yeah, dude need to see the doctor! S.W.

"Blinded by the light...Revved up like a duce, another runner in the night." (Blinded By The Light, Manfred Mann & The Earth Band)
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 07-16-2008 13:42
Safety glasses would help change your luck with metal in your eyes.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-16-2008 13:53
EVERY time I have gotten metal in my eyes I had them on. How's that for bad luck. :-)  I wear glasses all the time anyways & just wear the script Z 87 pair I have when I'm working. Tiny flakes of metal just seem to find their way in. I had a tiny flake fall from the underside of a car at the plant, right in the space between the glasses & my head once. And, yes I have side shields on them too.

I usually wear a full face clear shield when I'm grinding ANYTHING now.

I still wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. S.W. 
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 07-16-2008 13:54
Yes, If there were other ingredients besides the "caines" which usually they will also have to speed up any healing, and or swelling. The "caines" however are just for numbing, and those are not good for prolonged use, and yes they do suck badly to get in your eyes for the first few seconds, I've accidentally rubbed our topical numbing cream (a strong benzocaine, lidocaine, tetracaine combo) I put on our patients here at work in my eye a few times inadvertantly, and it sucks bad!!!! It also tastes horrible too. :) I just thought I'd chime in about this, because I use these things on patients on a daily basis, so I actually do know quite a bit about them..... not on eyeballs though.

Here's some info on the tetracaine, which is likely what they will give you:
http://www.drugs.com/cons/tetracaine-ophthalmic.html

Maybe also some steroid, and if worst case, some antibiotic if mentioned infection is happening, lets hope not.

'nother day with the crazy women at the plastic surgeon's office. Waiting to get in the welding booth tonight for the real fun to begin ;)

Oh, and just for fun for all of you guys, the best thing for burns is Aquaphor - you can get it at the drug store, though it's harder to find. It's ten times better than neosporin. Keep it moist with the Aquaphor for a good week or so as much as you can, and don't pick once it scabs up, and your scars will be allot less noticeable. I burned my lip really bad with slag, and this stuff was the BOMB, and I have NO scar whatsoever.

My 2 cents plus a bonus

Jenn
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-16-2008 16:20
Nice reply Jenn. :-)

I almost forgot your day job! 

jrw159
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 07-16-2008 17:33
It has been handy for healing my wounds, lol!!! All the guys in class come to me to fix them up too.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-17-2008 22:27
I was told by my DR that this was not to be used, it will melt your retinas
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-17-2008 23:38
I do not know about melting them, but prolonged and/or continual use will deteriate them. Is that what you meant by "melt"?

It is for sure just a temporary fix.

When I was under a hood I always had a bottle at the house for those RARE occasions when I would get flash burn. If I would wake up in the middle of the night with the sand in the eye feeling I would use a drop in each eye and was able to go to sleep. BUT if I woke up the next morning still hurting, to the eye doctor I went.

jrw159
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 07-18-2008 11:56
Yuppers, not good if you use more than a day or two. They can deteriorate, and as well they can ulcerate (cause sores) where you have something in your eye, like this fellow did, it can also ulcerate from over use to relieve flash burns as well. And that is a very very bad thing. So if you use any of these for more than 1 day, and you're still hurting - something else is wrong, and QUIT using it - you're hurting yourself more. You may need something totally different like the antibiotic "goop" instead. I just want you guys to know this...... We all need our eyeballs!

By all means, if you have the stuff around, and you're absolutely sure it's a flash burn, give yourself some relief for the night (1 night!!!). If you're not sure, be very very careful.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-16-2008 06:03
yep thats the magic juice i keep it in the truck jut incase
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-16-2008 01:38
2% tetracaine.  They do not give it out, you will need to see your optomitrist and save what you get.

You need to FIX the problem that is causing the burn!!!

What is your environmental situation?

Are you around other welders?

Are you protecting yourself correctly with the proper PPE?

jrw159
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-16-2008 13:15
Insert head in anal cavity... No light in there, lots of warm moisture.

This will temporarily correct the problem.

Lots of Vicodin helps too.

S.W.
Parent - - By rockin d (**) Date 07-16-2008 01:40
thats way to much time to have burnt eyes ,are you sure you don't have a piece of slag or something in there. usually it will last that night & next morning my remedy drink till i pass out , so i wont wake up during the night thats when it really hits you. i should of been a dr. haha (really you need to see  eye DR) good luck
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 07-16-2008 02:03
Yeah, time to see a doctor. Flashburn sucks, but it doesnt last. Something is not right. Until the appointment, beer will soothe the pain. Drink hard and often!
Take care of them eyes!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / help soothing burn eyes????
1 2 3 Previous Next