Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / etching aluminum for depth of penetration
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-23-2008 00:14
I was searching the forum about this subject today and someone said that a drain cleaner would do the job on aluminum so  I tried it when I got home after work and to my surprise it worked great it looked better than the one's we where sending out to get etched. Another question well it work on steel and if not any body got anymore suggestion.
                                                           Thanks
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-23-2008 03:44
  A popular etchant that is used on pattern welded steel is ferric chloride. This is the stuff used to etch printed circut boards, and at least used to be available at Radio Shack, perhaps they still have it. I havn't tried this, but I think it will work. Any acid You have handy would be worth a try.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-23-2008 12:15
Thanks for the information Dave.
           M G
Parent - - By cfrancis (**) Date 07-28-2008 12:37
Yes,,I use the drain cleaner for aluminum as well,,works great!.  For steel,,I have a recipe of a ferric chloride mixture, that I get mixed for me by a chemist at a local drug store. You may want to go that route.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-28-2008 12:49
  Thanks I will check on that today, is it expensive. Thanks for the information.

MG
Parent - By cfrancis (**) Date 07-28-2008 17:20
Not really,,as I recall, I pay $20-30 for a 4-6oz vial.  Doesnt seem too bad I didnt think ?
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 07-28-2008 18:04
Etchant for steels, 2% nital.  Simple to make and you don't need to be a chemist.  What you need:

Methanol or ethanol
Nitric Acid
Plastic squirt bottle
100 ml graduated cylinder

Recipe:

100 ml Ethanol or Methanol
2 ml Nitric Acid

Warnings:

Nitric acid will burn you so wear rubber gloves. 

Do not mix more than 5ML Nitric Acid to 100ML Methanol or Ethanol (you could mix more and be safe I am being conservative so you won't blow yourself up.)

This etchant will work great on steel but not so good on aluminum.

Basically keep the ratio of 2% nitric acid and things will be fine.  You could pay someone to mix this but it is easy enough to do yourself.

Fairly cheap.  A bottle of Nitric acid will run less than $10 and you can buy the Meth or Eth cheaply also.  A bottle of each will keep you in business for a long time.

Etchant for aluminum that works better than toilet cleaner and is cheaper in the long run

Kellers etchant

Recipe:

190 ml distilled water
5 ml nitric acid
3 ml hydrochloric acid
2 ml hydroflouric acid

Good for most aluminum alloys

Mix as above and keep in a glass or plastic container.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-29-2008 14:10
I tried GScrisi's formula of 10ml acetic acid / 15ml hydrochloric acid / 10ml nitric acid and 2 drops of glycerine yesterday and it will etch anything you have.  I tried it on a couple different stainlesses, 6061 aluminum, and carbon steel and it etched them all awesomely.  He said to disgard it after it turns orange which happened in about 15 minutes, but I still tried some etching while it was orange and it still worked good.  It was weird though, after I cleaned my droppers and let them sit for awhile I went back to extract some more of the etching solution and it wouldn't even suck any up into the dropper.  I squeezed the dropper and let it go in the acid and it had like a reverse effect.  When I let it go all kinds of bubble came out of the dropper like they would if I were to squeeze it while it was submerged.  After awhile it finally started sucking acid up into the dropper.  Weird!!!!!
Parent - By Goose-em (**) Date 07-29-2008 17:14
I bet it worked, nitric acid and glycerin pretty potent, be careful.  Also Acetic acid can be dangerous when it dries out take care.  The etchants I posted are pretty safe unless you are drinking them or bathing in them.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-30-2008 05:07
Doesn't hydroflouric acid disolve glass [before You dilute it] ?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / etching aluminum for depth of penetration