Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Name this machine
- - By phaux (***) Date 07-22-2008 23:06
Someone's selling this welder $200, was wondering if any of you could identify it/ give me any info on it. I believe the bottom unit, the welder, is a Powerkraft by Montgomery Ward. I don't know what the other two boxes on top are though. She said one of them says something about high frequency, TIG maybe? Said there were no tanks hooked up to it though. It's an hour away and with diesel prices I didn't want to make the drive unless it was worth it.
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 07-22-2008 23:34
Might be dry tig rig?
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 07-22-2008 23:46
By dry tig u you simply mean no water cooler for the torch?
Parent - By snuffman (***) Date 07-23-2008 01:33
I would have them send more pics.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-23-2008 02:02
It looks like an AC welding machine with a modular DC rectifier & an HF rig for air cooled TIG. Probably worth it, but not really practical for anything full duty. It would be neat to tinker with. I wouldn't spend $100+ in gas to go & get it though. Nothing you're going to make anything resale on. Good luck on it. Steve.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 07-23-2008 05:10
Ya, I'll see if I can load it up into a civic hatchback. Should be about $20 in gas and the lady said she'd take $175. Been looking for a plug in stick welder as all I have are gas powered and I think the neighbors are tired of hearing those blaring in the middle of the day. If it's ac witha tig setup would I be able to hook up a pedal and weld aluminum?
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-23-2008 11:46
It probably has no contactor or remote. You would have no way to turn the arc off & on. Still, scratch start's the way they did it years ago. Just takes a little getting used to. I can't say for sure, but most likely the case. The HF box may have a remote switch, but all it will do is turn the HF on & off. A good buy for $175. Go & get it! You should be able to take the components off the top.  Let me know how you come out. S.W.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Name this machine