Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / fuel consumption
- - By rick harnish (***) Date 07-27-2008 05:41
I have been led to and do believe synthetic oil increases fuel economy. Anyone doing this in their machines? What about longevity when a machine is worked heavy? Seems logical enough, but I dont want to throw some in only to discover I have created problems.
Running an 07 300D. 1700 hrs
Thanks ya'll!    (Kaye?)
Rick
Parent - By millerman (**) Date 07-27-2008 13:10
Rick i have run sny. in all my machines < after breakin period about 1rst or 2nd oil change > and yea it smade a diff. i run mostly air cooled machines but i do this with all my equipment tractors , sa 200 ,
I use only mobile 1 i have taken down a lot of motors the ones with mobile  look like they where just built h*ll they even have the casting tipps still on the block these where any where 60,000 to 170,000 mile motors
and on my air machine  it ran smoother and fuel increased  some.
thanks
Mac
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-27-2008 13:52
I run synthetic in EVERYTHING I own.

My wife is running a Tahoe w/180k on it - No breakdowns

Synthetic everything - it will prove it's worth in the long run!
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 07-27-2008 14:46
thanks ya'll! I figured as much, just wanted to see it in print, I guess.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-27-2008 19:34
I was wondering if it would be ok to run synthetic in my old sa 200?? some people say no it will leak more I mean I use mobil 1 in all my cars and lawn mowers just not sure about in this old engine what yall think?? I'm on my second oil change of this freshly rebuilt engine and was think should I run sythetic next oil change or not

Chris
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-27-2008 21:41
I would absolutely run syn, especially if it's just been rebuilt!
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-27-2008 22:20
ok then I may do that for my third oil change.. the first I ran castrol 10w-30 and ran it about 6 hours like a friend told me changed the oil and thought I'd run that about 50 hours and then maybe change it to synthetic just want to make sure the rings are very well seated. I've got a oil seep at the magneto which I need to take care of but yeah I think I may run it next time I change the oil. Thanks

Chris
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-28-2008 18:16
You can run twice as long on synthetic as well.  I change my oil in the truck every 6k miles.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-28-2008 18:19
I know people that do that but I don't I just run it about 4,000 miles on mobil 1 and thats it but it is nice if I take a long trip somewhere I can run longer
Parent - - By drifter57 (**) Date 07-28-2008 18:30
I have a 2000 dodge truck, run amsoil in it and sent a sample in to be tested at 6500 miles of normal driving, sample came back as oil being in exellent condition, now I am going to run 7500 miles and send it in and see how it comes back. Only cost $20 so what the **** I figure to see just how far I can run.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-28-2008 19:20
That's what I run, Amsoil DIESEL 15w 40 in the summer and 5w 40 in the winter.  Is your truck a diesel?  I think I might have to push it a bit longer if your getting those kind of results.
Parent - By drifter57 (**) Date 07-29-2008 10:13
Ray, mine is a gas outfit. I put amsoil in motor, all drive train gear boxes, tranny etc, increased milage about 2.5 MPG. I will post later when I send in the 7500 mile test samples.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-28-2008 02:57
     Synthetic oil really makes a difference in extreme high temperature aplications. Under normal service temps the difference is slight. Mineral oil turns to jello if overheated, synthetics don't.

I have a 1985 Dodge Mini Ram van that has 280K miles on it, never had the pan off. It has always had inexpensive oil from Pep Boys or Dollar General in it. I replaced the head gasket 1 1/2 years ago, there were still honing marks visible in the cylinders.

TFE [teflon] oil additives do reduce friction, You may get slight increases in power & economy and possibly longevity from using them or oils that incorporate them.

If You change the oil & filter at the suggested intervals I doubt You will see much difference in time between overhauls from using a synthetic oil.

After an engine is broken in, using a synthetic oil isn't going to hurt anything for sure. I definatly would not use a TFE product before the engine was well broken in.

Gas engines that don't run for extended periods may get some benifit from using diesel rated oils. These have more acid neutralizers than other oils. Engines that run for long periods get the oil hot enough for long enough to drive out moisture that is needed for acid formation.

Keep after the air cleaner, that is what keeps the grit out of the engine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / fuel consumption