Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D9.1
- - By chaikwa (*) Date 12-28-2002 15:22
Is anyone familiar with a "D9.1" Standard? If so, what exactly is it? I'm just starting to familiarize myself with some of the AWS standards and I ran accross the term on another board a few days ago. Thanks!
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 12-29-2002 22:54
D9.1 is the Sheetmetal Welding Code. I see it used frequently for HVAC ductwork in buildings. Could be used for many other applications also, such as electrical cabinets and panels, food preparation equipment, or other light gage fabricated products. Much more practical than D1.1 for welding procedure or welder qualification for sheetmetal products.

Marty
Parent - - By chaikwa (*) Date 12-30-2002 01:18
Thank you very much.
Now I have another question; what set of code or standard applies to the repair of heavy equipment, truck frames and trailers and the like. Is it the structural code, or is there another that applies? Thanks again!
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 12-30-2002 22:05
Compliance with most AWS standards is by voluntary agreement between the purchaser and the seller/fabricator. The specification selected would usually be listed in a contract document, such as a purchase order or product specification issued by the purchaser, or a written proposal from the seller. So whichever standard that was mutually agreed upon would be applicable. Some standards other than AWS D1.1 that could be used would be:

AWS D14.3, "Specification for Welding Earthmoving and Construction Equipment"

AWS D8.8, "Specification for Automotive and Light Truck Weld Quality: Arc Welding"

Go here for a complete listing of AWS Standards:
http://www.aws.org/catalogs/

Marty

Parent - - By chaikwa (*) Date 12-31-2002 02:12
Marty, once again, THANK YOU! I really appreciate the time you've taken to explain things to me.
Take care.
Chaikwa
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 01-02-2003 03:55
I should also point out that compliance with a specific AWS standard can be mandatory when it is referenced in federal, state or local laws. So, if you are looking at getting into the market of trailer fabrication, truck repair or crane repair, be sure and check with the appropriate governing bodies. This can be difficult to track down sometimes. The Chief Safety Engineer, Dept. of Transportation or similar departments in your state is a good place to start.

Marty
Parent - By chaikwa (*) Date 01-02-2003 13:05
Marty
It's actually ironic you should mention trailer repair or fabrication. I've just recently figured out that there IS a certification for such a thing. I've been repairing and modifying trucks and trailers for about 15 years now and I'm licensed with SAE and NHTSA/DOT as a trailer manufacturer. And you're right... it was a difficult and time consuming process to obtain the authorization from those agencies, not to mention that I had to find out first, WHO to contact! It took me about a year to get it all together and get approved. But through all the red tape and typical governmental foot dragging, not to mention MONEY, nothing was ever mentioned and there is nothing in any of the paper work about welder qualifcation. Everything else that relates to manufacturing quality and consistency was addressed and I had to prove just about everything I stated in all my documentation. My shop was even inspected and I had to prove myself worthy of possessing certificates of origin. I also had to provide examples of my trailers so that the design could be deemed sound, but again, no mention of welder competency!
Just thought you might find this interesting.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D9.1