Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What grade aluminum to use to make a aluminum boat???
- - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-28-2008 18:40
just as it say was wondering what grade aluminum should you use to make a aluminum boat?? A guy I know said he had made one useing 50 grade which I try and look online at the different metals you can buy and I don't see a 50 grade they call it I do see like a 5052 aluminum plate you can buy is this it?? I've been thinking and throwing around the idea of making a aluminum boat one of these days and was just wondering about what grade to use and to see about priceing out the material and see if it is all worth it.
Thanks
Chris
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-28-2008 20:08
Hello Chris, I have done a fair amount of marine oriented work and 5052 is a very common alloy for this purpose. In our area it is referred to as "marine grade" aluminum. It also forms very nicely without the cracking issues that you might encounter with other grades. Generally you will want to weld it with 5356 filler. There are likely other choices for material and filler, these are the ones I am familiar with. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-28-2008 20:27
Chris,
  I do not know if you have read this thread, but it is concerning an aluminium duck boat. It may be helpful.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=87051;hl=duck%20boat

jrw159
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-28-2008 20:36
aevald I know like my aluminum boat here at home when it was made it was sent through some kinda gosh I can't think of the name it's got like these long V bent seems all throughout the hull I guess for strength and I assume this 5052 metal can be bent with these types of seems for added strength and not crack then right? That is what would be the biggest thing I think is finding a place that could do this process in makeing these V shape seems to make it stronger.

jrw159 thanks for that link I need to learn how to use the search better.

Chris
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-28-2008 20:42
Chris,
  I see with my second look that you were in on this thread. I am glad I could help you find it again. I sometimes have trouble locating old threads as well. :-)

jrw159
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-30-2008 02:41
Hello Chris, yes it could be bent to the angles that you are referring to without cracking. Many boats that have the features that you are referring to refer to these as "chines", I believe. On many boats there are extrusions that are used to form the seams between the bottom and sides of a boat instead of bending by forming. Along the sides a lot of the time, they will simply use angle iron that is bent or formed and then stitch welded to the boat from bow to stern. A little bit more for you to consider. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-30-2008 03:58
      Chris, plans for boats built from plywood work [with modification] for aluminum boats. Simple curves [shaped in 1 axis only] are pretty easy, compound curves are much more work.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-30-2008 04:45
aevald thanks yes I did see that wih the guy with the duck boat he had aluminum angle then stitch welded to reinforce it now let me ask this I would think the Chines as you say it is called the little V grooves would help with strength and I would think would help with the way a boat performs in the water correct?? I mean because when I am in my boat and I'm takeing a sharp curve sometimes if I take the turn a little to sharp and to fast I can feel as if the boat wants to slide out from under me and I always felt those CHINES seem to help with the boat turning and not sliding out or is this incorrect?? I guess a wooden boat wouldn't have these chines either so maybe it doesn't matter or is this all in my head LOL

Thanks Dave I'm gonna see if I can find some plans for a wooden boat online and let me ask can you buy like 4 or 5x16ft of aluminum sheet so you won't have a seam in the bottom of your boat can you get lengths like this??

Chris
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-30-2008 06:07
     Chris, I will PM You an eMail address for a friend of Mine who built an aluminum boat from plans originally drawn for plywood. He built it before I knew Him, so I don't know all the details.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-30-2008 06:43
Hello again Chris, in a sense, the channels, grooves, angles, and other shapes that are added or formed into the hull of a boat can have a considerable effect on the stability and handling of it. Various hull designs will yield better handling in different types of water. You should probably consider the type of water you will be using your boat in and look for the design that will best suit your application. Some hull designs are well suited for shallow water and generally are more of a flat-bottom type. Others might take into account being used in rougher water or rivers and the design of their hulls are such that they cut through the water and don't subject you to a physical pounding in the process. If you plan on fishing or hunting from your boat you won't want one that will be unstable or rock easily so take this into account as you're considering your options. Look at your type of use and consider all of the choices that you have for design before you necessarily choose one. As Dave mentioned, whether you build a boat out of wood, metal, fiberglass or some other medium, the design determines how well it handles or works for your purpose, the material used is simply a matter of what you might be familiar with or willing to work with or how much weight you want to deal with or cost. A bit more for you to consider. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-30-2008 14:02
thanks
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-29-2008 03:16
     Aluminum yachts hulls are often plated with 5083 & 5086. 5083 is stiffer, 5086 is used where there are compound curves. I don't know if these alloys are suitable for the tight bends in small boat construction.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What grade aluminum to use to make a aluminum boat???