Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / about autodarking lense
- - By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 07-30-2008 22:45
i have a radnor 24s 2"x4" lense and it is a shade 10 it is to lite for my eyes but it is the best one i have found in autodarking lense. i saw in the information on the lense that they have passive shade 1 and 2 to make it draker. well i went to airgas and the *******s over there were no help was so every, like normal. so my Question is this a bad idea and also if it isnt where can i get them, or what is a better lense.
david
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-30-2008 23:38
use a permanent shade with a gold mirror there the best
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-31-2008 01:01
if you go with that gold lens be sure to get a glass 1 and go a shade darker than you would normally get i got an 11 and it is still like welding with a 9 at night or on a good sunny day
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-31-2008 01:14
I use Huntsman lenses myself & have had good success with them. I have to have it as dark as it will go & it will do #13 shade. That's just my preference for an automatic anyways. S.W.

BTW....Airgas is a pantywaste of a company & prides themselves on monopolizing the supply industry. I refuse to buy anything from them.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-31-2008 03:01
I've had it with auto darks to many times the've burned my eyes so permant lense 11 I use with gold mirror and it is glass I just don't trust the plastic ones call me old fashion I don't know. plus the permanant lenses just are way way clearer then these autodarks I feel

Chris
Parent - By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 07-31-2008 03:34
i have used the permanant i like the lincoln ultra visibilty but using a pancake i have hell with arc marks were you get those side 1 and 2 maybe
david
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-31-2008 11:50
Try an Optrel lense.
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 07-31-2008 13:41
Optrels are nice, I like my Miller Elite though :) *BIG window*
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 07-31-2008 15:46
I have never been able to adapt the auto darkening lenses. Every few years I'll try one just to see if I changed my mind, but I stll use my old huntsman that I've had for 20 years now.

Jason
Parent - - By SlowStart Date 08-06-2008 01:42
That green tint on the Speedglas has always hurt my eyes.  I just can't get used to it.
Parent - - By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 08-06-2008 02:43
i found some little filter lense at weldingsupply.com they worked great for me
david
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-06-2008 20:25
I've used the gold lense and like them. I did buy an auto a few months back and or maybe last fall. It was good and convenient but then this year while doing a big job(big for me) I noticed that I would get flashed at times while welding. Then on a job in March a scaffold walk board got blown over by the wind and it was curtains for the auto. Bought me a $30 helmet at the welding shop and never looked back.
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 08-07-2008 12:17 Edited 08-07-2008 12:59
Indoors or in darker areas, I use a shade 12 standard glass green lense.  Outdoors, I think a 10 or 11 is plenty.  Plastic tinted lenses are light, but they're sh*t.  You clean them off a few times and they're done.

That's not to say that plain'ol boring glass lenses have their downsides.  Back when I had more of a temper, my helmets flew like you wouldn't believe.  One KA-BAM!  Off the wall, bandsaw or whatever they would hit, and the lense was gone...but then, generally the helmet was done as well!  They're heavier than their plastic counterpart, but the clarity is noticable.

I've used auto tints and gold lenses in the past.  The autotints are nice if you're doing things like handrail or stitch welding.  I'm not really a big fan of the gold lenses.  Sure you can see more colors (purdy!), but a few scratches and they're f*@$&d!  With a gold lense, if you want a shade 10 you'd be better going with an 11.  As far as I could figure, a gold lense was a shade 5 with a plated surface.

The autotint I had was an Optrel.  The lense had a variable lense adjustment (5-12 I think), but I remember it always being darker in the center than on the edges.  Not only that, but godforbid that one has to weld inside a tight space, when BAM!  The sensor is blocked and You get a lovely white blur...

I'm curious though, as to how well an autotint would work in cold weather though.
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 08-07-2008 17:16
I leave my Speedglas in my garage over the winter, and have used it at around 20F with no issues. 
My cheap autotint went black within about 20 feet of HF, and the shade varied badly over the viewing area (more so when it was cold), but the Speedglas has none of these issues.  In fact, I know I've got the shade setting right, when its hard to tell when it goes dark if I'm focusing intently on the puddle.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / about autodarking lense