Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld symbol question
- - By weld7320 (*) Date 07-31-2008 13:41
I came across a weld symbol with a tail I had not seen before (attached drawing).  I've circled the tail.  I was told by the fabricator that the tail means to weld the plate on all three edges between the plates and the channels rather than the 2 joints only.  Can someone verify this is what it means?  I haven't been able to find anything about it.
Attachment: SymbolTail.doc (32k)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-31-2008 14:46
I have detailers that use that symbol to say that they want the clip angles on a beam welded on three sides instead of drawing a couple more arrows to point to the sides to be welded...seems lazy to me, but we know what they want, so I guess the message gets across.
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 07-31-2008 14:47
Annex B and C of AWS A2.4:2007 gives specifics of what the tail of a welding symbol should look like, and what you have shown, doesn't appear anywhere in the book. I would say that the specific information required for the weld should have been spelled out in the tail section of the welding symbol. I personally have never seen that type of symbol either.

Jason
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 07-31-2008 14:48
NO you won't find it in the "A2.4", & YES it's a lazy detailers/engineers way of letting you know to weld 3 sides on the same plane.
Parent - - By weld7320 (*) Date 07-31-2008 15:40
Thanks fellas.  I appreciate the feedback.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 08-01-2008 10:11
agreed, weld 3 sides, agreed, lazy way to show it.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-01-2008 18:08
Another "Kelvin Kline" designer welding symbol. "If you can't find a real one that works for you, make up your own welding symbol."

I've seen symbols similar to the one you showed, but in my case the icon you showed in the tail was position to the right of the weld symbol where the length should be listed.

I've always said, the dumber the contractor, the better my bank account. The same goes for lazy detailers, because the mistakes will be corrected and the guilty will pay. I had one project where the designer was back charged $180,000 for incorrect welding symbols. Everytime the welders stopped welding because they didn't understand the "nonstandard" welding symbol, their time and the staff's time was charged against the designer. There were some real beauties on that project.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By weld7320 (*) Date 08-04-2008 20:27
That's hilarious!

I would argue with your point about "..the dumber the contractor, the better my bank account" though.  If I have to research what the hell is meant by a "Kelvin Kline", that's a waste of my time and time is money.... come to think about it, I was still on the clock when I discussed it with the contractor.  Works for me.
Parent - By Goose-em (**) Date 08-07-2008 17:32
Engineers are at it again.  I would put the weld on two sides and then when they tell me to put it on three sides charge the heck out of them. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld symbol question