Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Blog:welder in training....discouraged/upset
- - By jane123 Date 07-21-2008 20:50
my plans after high school was simple...go to college and enter the business field. After school things didnt go as planned and i wanted to enter a trade. I walked in the welding shop...being the only girl present, they gave me looks like i was lost. After talking to the instructor (who didnt seem so interested) i asked why he weld. His response: it's a good trade to learn and have. He's been welding and teaching for over 25 years.  I would get two response; support/antisupport.  This lady said you're very smart, and you should look at other trades like nursing before you want to weld.  Some welders may be *******s/dumb but im smart and can be an ******* sometimes (rude lady). My first day response was.. WOW, this is dirty and hot.  I said if i wanted to quit i would decide my first week, found my self at the shop after. I've been in school for 9 months, im the best in class of not so average welders. i would consider myself close to an average welder (i have very high standards), most of the other students just dont care but for the money instead of learning the trade.

I was given a box test. Tig root/hot pass on open bevels in all positions, fill and cap with flex. Mig on open other bevels and fill/cap with stick. I though would be a breeze, cause i finished training in these areas. My box result isnt as great, it was a big discourage... but this is what i want to do for some years. Learned from my box test: it's not the end of the world. It showed areas i needed help with. my biggest problems was setting the machines to the right speed/temp.  My Qs: why a student like me had this result? Im was nervous and distracted.  Im staying for two more semester to get my diploma and i hope to be graded in this field to my standards. I work part time before school just to go to school (no parent support) my result was disappointing. It's a struggle to balance financial needs and wanting to finish school( pell grant has helped a lil').  I can weld but didnt look like it. I adjusted my machine many time during my test, this was the biggest factor. Other students were joking about my weld, that it  was f*** up, but i wasnt mad about the result. Rather then, why didnt i know my machine. We do hands on most, few book work and other. I know my instructor is the best around this area, but sometimes feel i need more knowledge then hands-on. The welding field has many opitions but i feel this is the problem: welders that are suitable/requirements for the field is hard to find.I feel im not learning enough. I will restart in fall semester on 5g ( had trouble with for a while) my goal place is to be a TIG welding. I dont mind after finishing school in the spring to do work on pipe/fab. When im finished: am i going to be working where i want, doing what i was trained for? Girl welders around here are held at higher standards. Will i be fully trained and master my goal before heading out to the field? Of course..hopefully. Any tips/advice would be greatful. Career opition/steering would be appreciated. ;-)
Parent - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 07-21-2008 21:00
I had a lady in my class named Cole. She was a great welder and ended up
joining the pipefitters union in Georgia.

While I was in school I worried about being good enough when I got out in
the real World too. I came out and got hired at TTX Hamburg welding trains.
Now I am overseas welding.

As long as you give it 100 percent effort I think you will be fine.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-21-2008 22:44
Keep learning and practicing. Welding is the mastery of eye hand coordination. Without being sexist, women have better eye hand coordination. However you are wanting to enter a male dominated field. As an inspector I could care less if you have two boobs on your chest or they came with you as helpers.
I am testing you to weld. Period.
It sounds like you are doing well. If you goal is to be a tig welder, the only one who can and will stop you looks back at you each morning. Learning any craft is a journey. Some get there before others and many quit before the trip is over. As a father of a daughter who is following a more traditional career, my hood is off to your in your pursuit.
There is a lot of information on this forum, and if you do a lot of reading, you can pick up some ideas and learn some things. There is a lot of good people here ready to help you also.
BABRT's
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 07-22-2008 02:08
Hey jane123,
Just some "food for thought" from an 'ol timer and hopefully you may really find, within, if welding will be your career choice. First, dbigkahunna kinda nailed it perfectly......YES.... it is the person you see in the mirror who you must satisfy and challenge to be the best. You either want it passionately, or you don't.... it's all up to the person you see in the mirror. Those of us who have the passion to weld, never stop learning, make mistakes and learn from them, strive to become better each day, and take satisfaction when we know we can do it without hesitation or reservation. After 45 years, I still find fascination learning new techniques and solving problems. I guess it becomes the quest to satisfy the eternal hunger: "I know I can do that."  Practice gives you the opportunity to evaluate your progress, decide if another method gives better results, getting the "feel" of the arc, puddle, and fusion parameters to make a superb weld. The scope of metallurgy is vast regarding thickness, grade, length, characteristics, application process best suited, ie: SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, O/A, etc., and your understanding of the process of fusion for each.

Mistakes: make them, do not fear, learn from them.
Satisfaction: Are you truly satisfied this is your best?; Can it be done better or easier?; Where is the mistake, if any?;
Personal evaluation: You must answer to only yourself and give thought regarding your true interest and desire to continue.
Emotions: You get mad? Frustrated? Feel inferior? Ready to quit? Too much to absorb?

OK.... relax. When the emotions get to the above.....STOP!!!  Take a breather, cool off, call it a day, go for a drive, swim, or have a cold beer. Re- establish YOUR control and thought processes logically. Simply, just think. It will all fall into place. YOU have the reins......

Come here.... ask questions.... listen to advice.... PRACTICE! Each day gets better.....     Denny
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-22-2008 02:13
APPLAUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-06-2008 23:02
I don't have anything of any importance to add to what has been said. I know when I did the mig it was tuff sometimes cause I'd have a bad night or two and want to figure it out myself. Most of the time I did, other times I asked the questions. Keep on doing it, you've come this far sounds like you have the passion just in a rough patch right now. You'll get it, just keep after it and good luck!!

Shawn
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-07-2008 13:19
First off, you came to the right place for help. There are a lot of people, men and women that read these posts and have been there and done that.
A suggestion is to change your post title to include the word "female", just because you'll attract the attention of some of our female respondents.
Some points to ponder:
If you follow this trade to its full potential, you can earn a greater wage than most college graduates.
Experience teaches you how to set up your equipment better than school books or the settings charts on the machines. You'll find that you can tell when a machines set right just by the sound it makes. Until then a lot of patience and experimentation is in order. One thing that I've found, especially when putting a lot of welds on a "smaller" weldment, like a box test, is that the weldment gets so hot while in process that you have to continually reset or turn down your machine as you go in order to compensate. This is a good thing to remember before you go out to find a job and start taking vertical plate tests. Turn down your machine before you cap off the bevel.
Hang in there! You'll do great!!

Tim
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Blog:welder in training....discouraged/upset