Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Purity Cylinder Gases
- - By NMWELDING (**) Date 08-04-2008 20:33
I think I got the name of this welding supplier right. Has anyone dealt with them,and how are their prices? I heard from a welder I worked with out in the oilpatch that they had good prices. I`m not sure what they carry for supplies,anyone have any input? I want to try and get away from dealing with Airgas,because of them becoming a monopoly in my area resulting in ridiculously high prices. I had a comment similar to this in another post. Thanks. 
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 08-05-2008 01:49
Yes, you did get the name right. Where are you, bro? I'm in Lansing, MI & they are local with a couple stores in Indiana & Ohio. The Lansing store's number is 517 321 9555. I have been a loyal customer for 10 years & they have never steered me wrong. I quit dealing with Airgas after they bought out BOC. They are a treacherous, monopolizing company that's been systematically buying out all the competition. Purity has a pretty good selection on the floor, but can order whatever you need. The Airgas supply here couldn't even get me some rod containers after 3 weeks & Purity had them on the floor!

SCREW AIRGAS! THEY ARE A MONOPOLY!!! PERIOD! I WOULDN'T DEAL WITH THEM IF THEY WERE THE ONLY WELD SUPPLY IN TOWN!!!

If you heard someone else calling Airgas a stinking monopoly, it was most likely me! Good luck! Steve
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 08-05-2008 23:39
I am from Sterling,about 35 miles north of Bay City,Michigan. I think you and I discussed the reactor coil issue of my Big 40 awhile back. I heard there was a Purity store in Saginaw about 50 miles south of me. I use a lot of Hobart welding rod,can they order that?
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 08-06-2008 02:49
Hi. I'm sure they can. I have never dealt with any of the other branches of Purity, but they have always been stand up for me. Are you looking for another big 40? I have a 1977 Big 40 I'll sell for $1000. It runs & welds, but has a leaky carb & needs a little TLC. Good luck! S.W.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 08-07-2008 13:01
I probably won`t buy another welder at this time,but I`ll keep you in mind. I have three other portable welders. The Big 40 just sits in my pole barn right now. I have thought about fixing it from time to time,it being my first welder and kind of having sentimental value. I get to a point where I can`t part with any of them,but I always want something for a backup or spare in my business,oilfield welding, which is going strong.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 08-07-2008 13:08
Where are you oilpatching at here? I didn't know there was a lot of that going on in Mi. I do mostly structural & want to go back to work, just not on a 70+ hour a week crew.

If you know of anyone looking, I want $1000 for it. Thanks! Steve.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Purity Cylinder Gases