Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / domestic oil production
- - By welder_Bob (**) Date 08-07-2008 18:17
FYI,
A friend sent this to me and apologized for our many heated discussions about him believing what News networks were saying about the Oil Company's.  He is finely starting to see the light.  Anyway thought you all might like to see it also.

"This speech on the floor of the House was delivered this week. His facts are correct.  The News networks didn't mention his speech. Someone put it on You Tube hoping it will get around via the Internet.  It is five minutes long and worth watching."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlfmvwxxgHM
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 08-08-2008 00:29
Good video welder_Bob.

We should do all of the options available to us in the USA. I'm so tired of hearing that it will take 10-15 years to benefit from oil and gas if we start drilling now. Somebody said that and it grew legs. Even if it was true, (and it's not) what is the alternative; do nothing. How does that help?
If you have the mentality that it won't help you until ten years down the road then why get an education, save for retirement, etc.

For 20 years (since they stopped building nukes,stopped drilling and banned most of our coal supplies)the craftsmen in America were smart enough to know that it was inevitable that this day would come. Energy dependent upon nations that do not like us. You would think the politicians were that smart as well.

The price of gas may never be $3.00 a gallon again but we can stop it from being $6.00 a gallon if we demand that our politicians do something besides play partisan politics.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-08-2008 03:27
    Speaker of the house Pelosi and all the greenies & tree huggers do not want abundant reasonably priced fossil fuels because they are going to "save the planet from global warming"

The wealthy will always be able to afford to squander fuel for their own purposes, high costs & limited supply puts the burden of conservation on everybody else.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 08-08-2008 05:58
I'm personally for drilling in ANWAR only because that place is already a forsaken swamp not some pristine yellowstone postcard.
I grew up in Ann Arbor founder of earth day, a couple of tree planting foundations and many other "Green" things. While I wouldn't call myself a green or hippy by any stretch its hard to live in such a place without some of it rubbing off, one of the things I miss now living in rural PA is no recycling.

anyways the real issue here in the long term is sustainability, I.e we can apply a bandaid today and we probably should, drilling is absolutely fine in my book. But what about in 30-40 years, we haven't hit the mythological peak oil yet, the problem is we're running out of cheap oil and with the huge rising economies of india and china, more people in the world want it.  really the problem is the lack of viable alternative with none in sight.

read the book 1000 barrels a second, written by a energy analyst/economist who worked for oil companies. Gives a really good understanding into the economics of energy distribution and the major problem that we are already experiencing. There is no soft landing. What ever happens we are in for some rocky times in our lifetimes as the energy sector and consumer adjusts to changing energy availability. http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Barrels-Second-Challenges-Dependent/dp/0071492607/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218174746&sr=8-1

on a personal note, I'm in the process of building a steam turbine. It's a fun welding project and the ultimate goal is to build a solar collector and make enough steam to power my own house, which can be done for surprisngly cheap especially if you have fabrication knoweldge and equipment.
Parent - - By okiewelder2 (**) Date 08-08-2008 03:37
wow what a good video. why isnt this guy running for president, he seems to be in touch with the needs of the workin man.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 08-08-2008 05:00
I like this guy, dam good video
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 08-08-2008 12:13
When was the last time you saw a Congressman or Senator at the gas station?  They dont pay for gas, hence the reason that they dont care what it costs us.  We have to pay for our gas and we pay for theirs too.  The whole arguement about drilling for oil now wont pay off for 7 to 10 years is ridiculous.   Wont we still be needing fuel in 7 to 10 years?  Thanks for letting me vent!
Dave
Parent - By millerman (**) Date 08-08-2008 12:38
good video but the real part of the problem is  some of the oil cost but alot is we have not built a pure gas refinery since around th early sixties and the demand for gas is over  our production and we ship fuel over seas the price is higher
and as far as  france and england are concerned the reson there gas is high < can not believe that main steam  news wont push this>  is the taxes on a gallon in france is like 5.00$ and england is about the same they have no income tax and this is how the gov. gets there money

Thanks
Mac
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-08-2008 12:58
Yes we should drill everywhere.  I don't expect it to impact price though since Mexico is expected to be bone dry in 8-10 years, and they are our number 3 supplier at 15%.  The predicted contributions of new oil fields are expected to be much smaller than the loss of Mexico, but that just means we will need them all the more.  A better fight to fight is the push for liquid coal.  It could be online in 5 years, and we have a 200 year coal supply waiting.  The only obstacle is the 'Global Warming' protesters since they have to burn coal to refine coal into liquid fuels.  There is one website that is pushing nuclear power to refine liquid coal.  Now that is a win for everyone.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 08-09-2008 09:42
to quote einstein "rarely if ever is what should be done, done"
we are talking big oil companies here, the only reason they dont grind us up and sell us is because they havent found a buyer yet, and when they do they will do a cost analysis of what makes more money, keep on selling us oil or selling our blood to the buyer, you can count on that.
darren
Parent - By bullsnbets (**) Date 08-09-2008 15:47
Great video! Thanks for sharing that.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / domestic oil production