Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum welding
- - By fireboss108 (*) Date 08-11-2008 01:46
Can anyone please tell me what equipment is needed to weld aluminum irrigation pipe out in the field? I have a Miller 250 Bobcat  and a Lincoln shorthood on my welding trailer.   I was thinking I would need a suitcase welder.  Is aluminum wire available for a suitcase, and is this where a spoolgun is used? I am familiar with mig welding (not aluminum) in the shop, but have not done anything but stick welding in the field. Also, the pipe is pretty thin, so what size wire should be used? Thanks
Parent - By CLaytonACARTER (*) Date 08-11-2008 03:57
Run O23 wire on a spool gun. 
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-11-2008 04:34
    A spoolgun should work OK on the Bobcat. There were a few spoolgun control units that could operate on DC Aux. power, but They are hard to find anymore. You will need Argon shielding gas. Aluminum wire doesn't push through a MIG gun too easily, small diameter wire is even worse.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 08-11-2008 13:40
Dave so wait you can use a mig aluminum suitcase welder through a all DC machine?? I know for Tig you have to have ac.

Chris
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-11-2008 14:25
Aluminum GMAW runs on DCEP with a CV (constant voltage) power source
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 08-11-2008 15:01
DCEP so what does the EP stand for ?? I'm only wondering if I could then weld with my sa 200 if it needs to be constant voltage then I'll just peg my machine out so it doesn't idle down?? would be cool if I could use it for aluminum
Parent - By nevadanick (**) Date 08-11-2008 15:29
dc electrode positive
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 08-11-2008 20:35
It would be cool, but pegging the idler won't give you constant voltage. You would need the CV adapter kit.
Parent - By pypLynr (***) Date 08-12-2008 00:51
The Bobcat with a HF-251 Hi-Freq. box is your best bet. I did 2 1/2 miles of Irrg. pipe with this exact set up. The set up is simple and the box can be had for around five to seven bills. Check ebay or craigslist.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-12-2008 02:11
    Chris, You could in theory run aluminum in spray transfer with a CC machine. A voltage sensing feeder is needed. An "across the arc" powered suitcase feeder doesn't use Aux power, but pushing aluminum wire can be an issue. You need a short MIG gun with a teflon liner, and You need to keep the conduit as straight as possible. The larger the wire the fewer problems You will have.

Last Aprill there was a guy posting as Sierraville selling an Airco spool gun setup with an AC/DC control unit. One of these would work with an SA 200. Most spool gun control units are AC only.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum welding