Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Impact Testing
- - By ritz (*) Date 08-12-2008 10:26
Hi to All!!

Since I am new in this environment (Welding) It has come to my confusion why impact testing is required besides from bend or tensile test? How did we know if impact test is required or not? What is the criteria? is it as per code, standard or what?

Anyone could enlighten me on this matter will be much appreciated.

Ritz
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 08-12-2008 11:58
ASTM A 673 will tell you exactly how to do Charpy  v notch testing.   If impact testing is required it will be called out in the spec for the material. The purpose of the test is to determine the materials ability to resist fracture at reduced temperatures.
Hope this was helpful.
Dave
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-12-2008 17:01 Edited 08-12-2008 19:32
Carbon steel shows a particular behavior at low temperatures that doesn't happen with other metals.
The particular behavior is that at low temperatures, always below 4 degrees C, carbon steel becomes fragile. This change from ductile (behavior at higher temperatures) to fragile (behavior at lower temperatures) is called the "ductile / fragile transition".
Unlike its behavior at high temperatures, which is perfectly known (so much that the allowable tensile strength is stated on ASME VIII starting from 600 degrees F or 160 C and up), the behavior of carbon steel at low temperatures is, until now, uncertain. It is not known at which temperature the ductile / fragile transition of a given carbon steel plate, or pipe, will take place. It may happen, for example, at plus 4 ºC or at minus 30 °C. The only thing we know for sure is that it WILL take place at a temperature below 4 ºC.
When carbon steel will be used at low temperatures applications, this uncertainty is a big problem. You can't build a structural steel construction in Alaska, with winter temperatures of minus 40 (C or F are equal at minus 40), using ASTM A 36 carbon steel that will become fragile at minus 10. So, when carbon steel is to be used at low temperatures, it's good practice to require an impact test at the lowest temperature it will have to support. This test may be carried out at the steel mill or at a specialized lab. With this information on hand, the project engineer will have a good idea on whether the material he intends to use is suitable for that application.
A curious thing is that only carbon steel shows this behavior. Other metals don't. That's why aluminum is widely used for cryogenics applications, such as liquid oxygen tanks in steel mills and liquid ammonia tanks in fertilizer plants.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - - By ritz (*) Date 08-13-2008 04:15
To Giovanni & dmilesdot,

Thank you very much for your technical explanations, now its enlightened me about impact testing.

To Giovanni, if you dont mind I would like to follow-up my question based on your explanation.

Is carbon steel the only metal required impact testing, just in case? what is the temperature basis that call for metal for impact test, it is the operating temp or the lowest ambient temp. expected in that certain location where project take place?

Best regards,

Ritz
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-13-2008 09:23
Ritz, if one is working with High Pressure applications from ASME B31.3, ALL materials currently require impact testing. 

The Committee has before it a proposal to change to "mostly" carbon steels as stainless steels and nickel alloys, which are common in today's fabrication and construction have exceptional low temperature properties but B31.3 Code, High Pressure Chapter has not kept up to date with these materials as no one from Industry has, until now, requested consideration.

You may find similar circumstances in other codes except that ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Codes seem more updated than parallel ASME Piping Codes.

Also, within ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Codes, thickness of material is often a consideration.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-13-2008 21:32
jon has already answered the first part of your question, i.e., the requirements set forth by the Code of Pressure Piping.
The second part would be to answer which are the requirements of the Pressure Vessel Code (ASME VIII). This I can't do now because I don't have the Code at hand. Please forgive me.
The third part would be to see which are the requirements for rotating equipment (compressors and pumps, for example) that work at subzero temperatures (piping and vessels are already covered by their codes). Does anyone know the answer?
Giovanni S. Crisi  
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-14-2008 11:24
More often than not, standards such as API 620 and in particular appendix Q of the same, several national standards Canadian CSA Z276-01, Mexican NOM-13, and others have specific requirements. As Giovanni has pointed out, some metals behave differently at sub zero temps, especially cryogenic temperatures. With the energy concerns being what they are around the world, research into liqified hydrogen, and other gases, you will very likely see this on a much more frequent basis as the various energy giants around the world attempt to restructure or build new storage and transmission systems for these cryogenic liquids.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Impact Testing