Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / TIG Sheet Stainless Steel
- - By Jacovelli Date 01-20-2003 16:29
My company have produced sheet metal protections for our machine tools using MAG and TIG welding process.
In 1995 I acquire and used the AWS D1.1:1994 and AWS D1.1 89 codes to qualify the process and MAG welders at our plant (+/- 25 welders / SAE 1006/1010 carbon steel)
But know I "must" to think about the TIG procedures qualification (stainless steel A304), but I have just two TIG welders (working with 2mm thickness) producing parts (stainless steel A304) that are design for protection and "to beautify" the machine tool. My question is: is it really necessary to qualify the TIG welding process for this application ? If not, what arguments do I must to use with ISO9000 auditors?
If yes, what the most appropriate AWS code ? I got the AWS D1.6:1999 Structural Welding Code – Stainless Steel but I thought too complex for my manufacture.
Thanks
Silvio – Brazil – Process Departament – Romi Company
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-03-2003 18:39
Maybe I didn't understand the question correctly. Is this for manufacture or for your companies own use on its own equipment?

Brian Maas
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-03-2003 22:51
If somewhere in your quailty system it is indicated that "ALL" welders and procdures will be done by AWS standards, then you may have a hard time convincing auditors. If your control of special processes section addresses this some other way, you may be OK.

AWS has a sheet metal welding code D9.1 U think. I haven't ever used it but I'm pretty sure it will cover your applications. AWS D1.1 is not intended to cover sheet metal welding.

Have a pleasant day

Gerald Austin
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / TIG Sheet Stainless Steel