Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Extention cord (remote)
- - By stkwldr (**) Date 08-17-2008 15:35
Can someone with an original Lincoln remote tell me what size the remtoe wiring is imprinted with? I need to make an extention cord for my remote box with a twist lock plug. I have 10/4 wire comming out of the remote and the pigtail is the same size wiring. What i have looks pretty heavy and I do not want a 36lb 100' extention cord.

thanks
Parent - By welder_Bob (**) Date 08-17-2008 23:57
Lincoln makes several different remotes for several different machines.  My remote is K857-1 with 100'cord that is marked "16/4 SOOW 600V (-40C)".  Hope this helps.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-18-2008 03:46
   If You have an SA or SAE machine You need a cord heavy enough to carry the field current without excessive voltage drop over the length. This means the cord will need to be even heavier if You make it longer. If You have an AUX power recepticle on the remote the cord needs to be heavy enough to handle that as well. For machines like a Vantage the remote cable only has to carry a slight ammount of power, not field current.
Parent - By stkwldr (**) Date 08-19-2008 13:24
I did end up talking with someone at Shirley's and 14/4 is the way to go. I have orderd 100' of it and now waiting for it.  They told me that for the SA250 14 guage was what they use on thier remote pigtail and extension cord.  (I do have two receptacles on my remote box)  Anyhow, thanks for the replys.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Extention cord (remote)