Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ReHeat Cracking
- - By Uncle Chuckles (*) Date 08-20-2008 18:34
Hello,

I have a joint on a  pressure vessel (2" wall thickness) that an engineer came to me with the concern of cracking during or after PWHT.  Since the material is 516 Gr. 70 I don't think Reheat cracking could be an issue, but am not sure. I know that austenitic SS have this problem and some Chrome Mollys but is it something I should be watching for on other materials? If so what would they be?

Any help on this issue would be gratefully accepted,

Thanks, Charles
Parent - - By 3.1 Inspector Date 08-20-2008 19:14
Uncle,

It usually wont happen on P1 materials, but I have read somewhere that even P1 material above 50mm wall thickness(almost 2 inch) could be susceptible to reheat cracking.
Watch out for it on Cr - Mo - V steels.....P5, P11, P22, P91, etc....
Thats the reason that NDT have to be performed after PWHT
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-20-2008 19:39
With a 2" wall thickness I would think you aren't using PWHT with long enough soak times to get into PWHT cracking regimes with almost all materials since its diffusion related.
Parent - By 3.1 Inspector Date 08-20-2008 20:53
You are most likely right.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 08-21-2008 04:15
I don't think you will have a problem, since carbon steel does not harden by precipitation mechanisms as is required for reheat-cracking.  If there is still concern, one way to avoid re-heat cracking is to use low heat input during your welding so as to reduce the grain size and the overall size of the coarse-grain HAZ where re-heat cracking takes place.
Parent - - By sunn625 (*) Date 12-26-2008 02:02
If concern the cracking, Maybe you can do the stress relief by vibration

To reduce & redistribute the welding stress, avoid its cracking & distortion

My Email:sunnn@semboo.com       Alice
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 12-26-2008 03:30
Sorry, but as far as I know vibratory stress relief is not permitted by any pressure vessel code that I am aware of.  Perhaps you should approach ASME with sufficient technical data to support a Code Case allowing it as an alternative to stress relief by heat treatment.
Parent - - By Jim12 (**) Date 12-27-2008 20:12
We have one of those so called magic bubble machines here and they finally realized that cooper heat was worth investing in, so bye bye metlax and hello cooper heat!
Parent - By Uncle Chuckles (*) Date 01-06-2009 18:18
It didn't crack, everything went fine.  Thanks for all the great responces.

Charles
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ReHeat Cracking