Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Resistance Spot Welding Procedures
- - By minemaster Date 01-20-2003 21:51
I am trying to write a spot weld procedure for resistance welding but have had no luck in determining the extent of testing that is required. I have purchased both C1.4 and D8.7. They have been great in determining how to make the weld and how to do the testing of the weld, but no indication on how much testing is required. Please help!!!
Parent - - By George-kh (**) Date 01-21-2003 08:05
Generally, There is not any NDT test usage for spot welding productions. Every day before starting to work, weld some spot weld with welding parameters that you want to weld on your weldment and try to separate two sheets which are welded. If weld doesn’t separate and sheet tears the weld is ok. After it you can trust your welding parameter.
I hope to help.
Parent - - By minemaster Date 01-21-2003 16:20
Thanks for the reply, but I guess I was unclear in the wording that I used to describe my problem. The testing that I am concerned with is the "required" testing needed to qualify the procedure. I need to knnow how many tension tests, shear tests or macro-etch tests are needed for each procedure to be qualified.
Thanks
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 01-21-2003 16:52
The "required" testing would be whatever the contract document specifies. I did a RSW structural aluminum project 5 years ago and the building department asked the QA agency (me) to develope a QC program specifically for this project, for this fabricator. There was not any acceptance criteria or guidelines for this application, so I put together the following recommendations:

For the PQR;
1.) 2 tensile tests [acceptance criteria was based on an engineers calculations]
2.) 2 macroetch tests to verify weld size, depth of penetration and the presence of discontinuities [accpetance criteria Mil-W-6858D, Class C welds was used to determine discontinuity compliance or noncompliance].
A deputy inspector would monitor all testing.

For WPQR;
3.) 2 peel tests to verify weld diameter and welding parameters at the start of each shift for each operator.
4.) Tensile testing of 2 welds at the start of each shift for each operator.
A deputy inspector would provide periodic inspection and review each day's operator qualifications speicimens.

The building official accepted these conditions. The project went well. Please note this is what worked for me. End of story.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Resistance Spot Welding Procedures