Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Student wanting more
- - By guffit Date 01-21-2003 16:35
I am an adult student (21) at a technical school who chose welding on a limb. I had no experience in any industry work. Since my 9 months of education here I have learned to enjoy it very much. So much so that I wish to continue my education. I was looking at becoming an Inspector, but the AWS offers little information on what is really needed to take this step. As I said I am already 21 years old and I do not, at least at this time, wish to take years of schooling. The technical school I attend does not certify me as a welder when I graduate, is this something I should do when I get out? Luckily for me I have picked up welding very easily and would like to challenge myself more with whatever is out there. My questions about becoming an inspector are these.

1) Do you need a number of years of experience as a welder?
2) What is the salary range of an inspector starting out?
3) Where can I go to get education to become an inspector?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Sean Guffey
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-21-2003 16:59
1) No but in some situations it is helpful.
2) This varies widely with the industry and company. I have worked for less than I have made as a welder an up to two and a half times that.
3) Welding, Books, Trade Schools, Industry Publications, Work Experiences, short courses, people in the industry that are willing to share their Experience/Knowledge.

I suggest AWS membership. The welding journal is an excellent publication with articles that have ALWAYS increased my knowledge when I read them. The meetings that many sections have provide an opportunity to meet others in the field of welding.

If you are speaking about becoming an AWS CERTIFIED WELDING INSPECTOR then AWS has course/testing packages that are available. There are experience requirements that one must meet to become certiified however that would be better learned from the specification that governs the AWS Certified Welding Inspector. The link to the specification is on this page http://www.aws.org/certification/CWI/ .

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-22-2003 12:50
I agree with Gerald, becoming a CWI is gratifying and enjoyable. AWS publication QC1:96 is the publication you need to see if you have the required experience and/or schooling. As far as salary, my welders make more than I do in a years time, because they get paid for overtime, and they do work alot of overtime. I put in the hours too, but not as many as they do. NDT is another aspect of inspecting that has been very interesting for me. I'll encourage you to pursue welding or inspection if you like to learn, because it is an ever-learning process. The field of welding and inspection is so wide, that you never could learn it all in a life time. The more you learn about it, the more you find there is more to learn. Good luck with further increasing your knowledge in welding or inspection,
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Student wanting more