Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 7016w's by Washington Alloy
- - By nasty22 Date 08-22-2008 00:41
Does anyone know if these rods are any good? This is the only rods anywhere near me. I have to buy 50 pounds to get them, so I need them to be decent.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2008 22:52
I didn't know anyone made E7016 electrodes (except by special order) any longer.

Al
Parent - By Steve.E (**) Date 08-23-2008 05:23
hi nasty.... haven't used that brand of rod however in my book for a 7016 you could not do better than a Kobe LB52U , best open single sided root rod I have ever used.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-23-2008 05:43
Hello nasty22, my experiences with Washington Alloy products period, have not been stellar. I have heard(possibly incorrectly) that they repackage their products which are made by others. If I'm wrong about this I will certainly retract my statements. I have used their E7018 rods, ER70S-6 solid wires, and some of their E71T-1 wires. Was not impressed with any of them. The suggestion regarding Kobe rod would definitely be a better choice, although likely not an inexpensive one. Just my own personal opinion. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-24-2008 08:29
you might be right on the repackaging thing i use these rods in 7018 and have learned if you get a box wrapped in plastic the rod looks to have been wet and you need to turn up the heat if it's not it's a sweet burning rod i have always had a hard time with the lincoln rods running up hill and these washingtons if you get the good rods burn easy and lay the prettiest bead you ever laid in your life and they arent real expensive but it's been a long time since i bought any rods still got full boxes from beofre i got hurt
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 08-24-2008 21:11
Have you tried seeing if McCays still makes them and if you can get any.  Of course there also the need to take into account the they produce welding probucts in phases.  So those that you have found might have been sitting for awhile.  Just something to consider.  by the way are they in a sealed metal can or a box?
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-25-2008 05:24
10 lb sealed blue plastic box sealed with a piece of tape they are usually very good rods
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 7016w's by Washington Alloy