Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pipe welding
- - By minemaster Date 01-21-2003 17:22
Once again I find myself trying to qualifiy a welding procedure, this time on stainless steel pipe. This piping is for transfer of water up the ladder of a fire truck. I know that ASME Sect. IX deals with piping in great detail and would be a great guideline, but my client wants everything qualified to AWS Codes. Originally AWS D10.9 would be perfect for this application but it has been superseded by AWS B2.1 which does not go into great detail about piping and tubing fabrication. Is it safe to use Section IX as a "go by" to at least determine the extend of testing necessary?
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 01-22-2003 20:21
AWS D1.6 deals with welding of structural stainless steel, but I don't have a copy to see how much it deals with pipe applications.
Most commercial applications for Pipe do use the ASME code for qualification, and specs such as the B31.X series for constuction rules.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 01-22-2003 23:33
You might use one of the AWS Standard Welding Procedure Specifications to avoid having to perform the qualification and meet the AWS B2.1 standard. Here are some of the ones for stainless steel:

Austenitic Stainless Steel, Primarily Pipe Applications - Shielded Metal Arc Welding - B2.1-8-213-97

Gas Tungsten Arc Welding with Consumable Insert Followed by Shielded Metal Arc Welding of Austenitic Stainless Steel (M-8/P-8/S-8) - B2.1-8-216:1998

Austenitic Stainless Steel, Primarily Pipe Applications - Gas Tungsten Arc Welding - B2.1-8-212:2001

Marty

Parent - By George-kh (**) Date 01-26-2003 09:48
D1.X series are for structures. So you can not use them for piping. If you are interested to use AWS standards, B2.1 can be your choose.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pipe welding