Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Another pipe question
- - By elliott (**) Date 08-23-2008 22:59
Hows everyone doin this weekend, I got a question when welding pipe do you quarter it(6-3) then the top of the other side than alternate sides or do you run all the way up from 6-12,also any tricks for welding the bottom and top also .When starting I seem to have a spot on the inside of the root that does not get full peneration. I have tried to start further back on the weld that i had just stopped on and pause a little more but it doesnt seem to help,but then again i dont have that much experience welding pipe so that could  very well be the problem. Thanks for the help. I would love to see some pics of what uphill pipe weld should look like insid and outside 6010 root;7018 cap.

Thanks  again,everybody have a good weekend,
                         Elliott
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 08-24-2008 17:16
Are you feathering your tacks??  By this I mean when you grind them do you make it where it is thicker towards the center of the tack and tapers out to where it is thinner towards to the end. Don't know if that makes sense but that's what you do.  When I start off I will sit and let the 6010 burn thru the thin part, as soon as it does I angle the rod back towards the tack and make my keyhole then I'll sit there for just a second to deposit metal then I take off and start to whip the rod back and forth about 1/4" or so.  I do the same when I'm coming up to a tack if I leave the tack.  Usually I make my tacks small then I grind them almost all the way out and then consume them when I put my root in, I just like the root better that way.  But if I leave the tacks in this is what I do, hope it helps. . . .
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-24-2008 17:33
Elliot,

When I was a welder, I was just a very averege one :) so you might want to take the post with a grain of salt.

As the other guy mention its important to feather you tacks - and each stop - before futher welding.
I dont know if you use a remore control to adjust your amps, if you do you might want to give it a little extra just as you come to the point where you stopped before. Once you get used to stick welding on pipes, you can actually hear when you have penetration.

I have never welded with cellulose coated electrodes myself, but I think I have heard something about the angle, distance, etc. is a little different than with 7018. It might be a good idea to master one technique before moving on to another.

I welded from: 3- 12, 6 - 12 and then 6 - 3 to avoid distortion.

Parent - By elliott (**) Date 08-24-2008 17:50
Thanks guys for the info i will try what you guys suggested later today. I hadnt been feathering the tacks because when Im done tacking I will have key hole there already at the end of the tack. Also running it on 69 sa200 in second gear at about 50-60 on the fine rheosate for 1/8 6010 and about 50-45 on the rheostate for 3/32 7018 have about 100 ft of lead but most is wrapped up do those amp sound about right to start with.
          Thanks again,Elliott
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Another pipe question