Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Small dia tubes to valve blocks
- - By panaya (*) Date 08-29-2008 12:10
Problem with welding small dia tubes 6-12 mm,thickness range 1,5-2,5 mm to valve blocks/thickness 30-50 mm/.MIG process,by hand,wire dia 1,0 and 1,2.Many leaks.Any recomendations?Thanks.
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 08-29-2008 17:39
That's awful small and thin for a mig process to much metal too fast I presume cold lap city.

Even with the wire being that thin, is the wire diameter you describe in MM also?

I would tig weld tubes of that size and wall
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 08-29-2008 19:01
base material and filler material information? what alloy type of metal is the base and filler? that alone can make a huge difference.

what are the machine settings Voltage, wire feed speed, etc

My quick guess it that on such a thick-thin section, there will need to be preheat or lese you will get lack of fusion on the base metal, if you turned up machine heat you will just burn through the small dia thin walled tubes
Parent - - By panaya (*) Date 09-01-2008 05:59
Tubes-St37/S255 EN/;wire G3Si1 for welding carbon steels;Tig welding-too slow process for serial work,preheating too.
May be any kind of other process?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-02-2008 03:58
If the parts are small enough perhaps they could be furnace brazed.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Small dia tubes to valve blocks