Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI experience
- - By bmaas1 (***) Date 01-15-2003 03:47
Hi guys,

I am a CWI with structural steel experience, i.e. D1.1, with level 2 in mt and pt. I want to gain experience with API and ASME code work for power plants and refineries. What would be the best approach to this or should I know all this stuff prior to getting an assignment. Are companies willing to train you while still being able to make a decent living. Any advice, input , experiences relating to this would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day.

Brian Maas
Parent - By brande (***) Date 01-26-2003 05:46
You are a CWI. This rating in itself is not related to a specific code.

When I took my test, about half the class took the test in AWS D1.1 and the other half, API 1104.

If you want to inspect to those other codes, I would suggest getting a copy of the codebooks and do a bit of studying. Getting familiar with the code required will make your day much easier.

I think you'll find that there are many similarities in all codes as well as a few critical differences.

There are also some study guides for the ASME section IX available as well.
Check the ASME, Global Eng, CASTI publishing websites for codebooks and study guides. There may be other sites to find this info as well.

You will never know all the stuff in every codebook. Being familiar enough with each codebook to find the right answer, quickly and consistently is the key.

Have fun-let us know how you make out.

Good Luck
brande
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI experience