Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / bogus inspector
- - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 08-18-2008 19:04 Edited 09-15-2008 13:37
I reviewed some faulty weld certs stamped by a so called CWI and his # was <SS# deleted by admin> this does not look like a valid AWS #. Looks like a SS#. The stamp looked like an AWS. Could this be what I think FRAUD???
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 08-18-2008 19:28
AWS has a CWI quick search where you can enter that # and find the info.
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 08-18-2008 19:29
it doesn't exist and the numbers are totally wrong. this is a new level of deciet.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 08-18-2008 19:36
that # was on the stamp itself?
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 08-18-2008 19:47
yes that was the number on the stamp just like mine but those #s on his have no meaning according to AWS and how the #s are issued.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-18-2008 19:48
That sounds like something that needs to be reported to AWS.
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 08-18-2008 19:50
They are not in the office today because of T.S. Fay. I do have his name but I'm withholding it for now.
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 08-18-2008 19:49
I wondering the next course of action. Expose the weasel for what he is???
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 08-18-2008 19:51
Guys here at work always joke around with me about my stamp and how they could go into town here and have one made Identical to mine for 40$.  Maybe this is the case in this matter.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-19-2008 00:01
Earning it / Faking it 
Day / Night
Profitable Employment / INCARCERATION

There ar no grey areas, IMHO. :-)

The right thing to do should be OBVIOUS!

jrw159
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-19-2008 13:02
The first four digits of a CWI's number would be the date(yr/mo) when certified, and the following digits were the sequential order in which the numbers were issued....

....so, "2511" would be "Nov. 1925".....LOL....that would just a "few" years before AWS started the CWI certification program.

bogus CWI number for sure
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-19-2008 01:25
Mark

There is a procedure to file charges against this person.  Complaining by phone will not be enough.  Could you scan and E-Mail me some evidence, including the person's name, address, Employer ETC?

Joe Kane
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 08-19-2008 14:59
I have checked with AWS and it is indeed a fakebut a good one. They even verified the name and it did not exist in the data base or ever existedin the data base. I really don't want to have a dog in this fight but it does bother me a great deal. I' WE all paid due to get where we are and to be undermined like this is terribly insulting. My certs cost thousands of dollars and this person probably paid $19.99 + tax.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-19-2008 15:10
Scan a copy of his stamp and send it to me. I WANT A DOG IN THIS FIGHT!!!!!

There are SO many things wrong with what he is doing I can not even start. Just hand me his dumb A** I know what to do, and so does JOE.

Hand him over. PM me.

jrw159
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-20-2008 17:20
If the guy is a fraud then he should get burned.  Joe Kane can help you with that.

I just want to second the post that said hold your guns until you are sure.  If he is a fraud, then he was yesterday, is today, and will be tomorrow.  But if there is any chance of a mistake - well, you can't call a shot back after it has been fired.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-27-2008 15:22 Edited 08-27-2008 15:28
UPDATE:

OK, I have looked into this and verified that it is indeed a bogus stamp. I have talked to the inspector as well as a company representitives. The inspector admitted that he did knowingly stamp it as an AWS CWI, but that he was pressured into it. The company rep. says not true, and they had no idea that there was anything fraudulant going on. I informed them that I have a violation complaint filled out with supporting documentation in a sealed envelope ready to mail to AWS. They asked what they could do to staighten this out. I said they would need to speak with AWS about that since there was no real way of assuring me that this would cease to happen. I will say that the reps were very eager and willing to make this right. They informed me that they will be retesting their welders and possibly terminating the inspector. They are also sending me the actual fraudulant stamp that was used. I feel at this point in time, there will be some major changes at this place. When the conversation ended I made sure that they fully understood that my willingness to work with them and let them take care of the matter in house should in NO WAY be taken as a sign of weakness, and that if I ever ran across this issue again dated after 8/27/2008 that I would do every thing in my power to see them hammered in every way possible.

Now maybe I am being to kind, it has happened before, but I have never been screwed twice by the same person without getting kissed out of the deal. LOL

I will post when I receive the stamp. :-)

Any and all comments, suggestions and critisism's are welcome, as maybe this is not the right way to handle this.

jrw159
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-28-2008 03:27
Listen to Joe Kane, send him evidence. 

REGARDLESS or whether the company rep knew anything or not, the bogus "inspector" needs to be prosecuted. 

This type activity is not only damning to the public image of all TRUE certified inspectors but could potentially lead to fatalities, depending on application. 

There is absolutely ZERO tolerance for someone who is KNOWINGLY committing fraud.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-28-2008 05:04
Gotcha!! :-)

jrw159
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-28-2008 13:29
I agree.  At this point it seems clear that the person knew he was falsifying credentials.  As far as being pressured, who knows?  Maybe the company rep did that or maybe not - or maybe the pressure was the "inspector" himself wanting to make some money fast and easy.

But it doesn't matter, the "inspector" clearly knew what he did was not right, it was not a "gray area" where he could say he misinterpreted the requirements and made a mistake, and it does cast a shadow over all those who strive to maintain their integtrity in the inspection business.

I would only add that it would be good to be careful with any more discussions with the "inspector" or the conmpany rep.  Back yourself up.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-28-2008 20:53
UPDATE#2:

OK Ladies and Gentlemen, they indeed did send me the fraudulant stamp as promised. It is pathetic to say the least. It is not sized right, it is red ink. BUT it does indeed say AWS QC1 with his name and SS# and CWI.

Now, when I spoke to these people, I did not portray myself as anything but what I am, John R. West. I in no way made them to think that I work for AWS, only that I am a member as well as a CWI (a real one) LOL.

The only promise I made to them went just like this. I was asked "If we send you this stamp are you going to use it as evidence and sue us?" I answered "NO" This is not a lie, as I will not sue them. I have no recourse to sue them, however I very well may turn this over to AWS and let them handle it. IMHO if I do that I have not gone back on my word to them. I will NOT sue them. I can not sue them. LOL

I am undecided yet as whether or not to post pics of this fraudulant stamp.

jrw159
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 08-28-2008 22:14
Hi jrw159!

Don't know how it works over the water! but here in the UK as a senior welding inspector, that would be reported ASAP! It's all well and good them sending you the fraudulent stamp etc. But what about the previous welds done? Are you going to trace every weldment done by this company? If they are open to this type of fraud, what else are they willing to try and hide? Imagine a pressure vessel welded with the wrong material, wrong consumables and without any PQR's, pre-heat ,post-heat etc? By this fraudulent use of a QC stamp, they have totally wrecked any honesty or integrity requirerments, which is essiantial in an engineering enviroment!

Just my thoughts!

regards
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-28-2008 23:00 Edited 12-08-2009 01:05
rodofgod,
  It is the same over here. :-)

I just want to make sure that I have my ducks in a row and that indeed this is frudulant. At this point in time there is no doubt in my mind that this was done with intent to defraud. The big question in my mind is how deep does it go?

jrw159
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 08-28-2008 23:29
The company as well as the bogus inspector's name should be turned over to AWS at the very least.  I am sure this is breaking at least one if not more laws,  I too would be wondering how deep it goes as you said.   I have my doubts as to an individual just going out and having a stamp made up.  Maybe this is the case but more than likely it goes further up the food chain I would bet. 
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-28-2008 23:52 Edited 08-28-2008 23:54
Oh yes this needs to be run all the way up the flagpole!

Let the experts decide who had the stamp made... When the pressure is on each party will sing like Pavoraotti and the truth will come out.

Somebody had to go to a stamp maker and have the thing put together, somebody paid for it. We know who used it.

Forward all materials to the Society.  Joe will direct you to the proper authorities in Miami.

Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead.

No handshakes, no "Gentlemans agreements"  Sure they will handle it in house... They also MUST be forced to handle it outside as well.   This is bogus, a crime and something they knew to be wrong before they went to great lengths to perpetrate it.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-28-2008 23:46 Edited 08-28-2008 23:50
My stamp is red ink too, and a different size than the old diamond ones, I'll try and post a (B&W)PDF of it if you like!
I sure hope its real. :)

I'd like to see a pic of it.
but I do think it should go to AWS so they can do something about it!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-29-2008 00:58
ctacker,
  Thanks for the input on size and color, as I was wondering of the possibility that AWS does in fact issue one that is red and smaller than the one I was issued. I was also informed that they now put your expiration date on the stamp as well, BUT they have not changed the number amount and signifigance, so a 9 didgit # is bogus alone. I beleive the number on this stamp is his SS#.

jrw159
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-29-2008 02:13
What's to say bogus "inspector" didn't have several of the same stamps made or whats to stop him from getting another and repeating this fiascal at a different shop/contractor?  This person needs to be prosecuted, plain and simple.  Remember, there is a potential for fatalities if this fraud isn't stopped cold in his tracks.  Don't sue him, just turn him into the local jurisdiction and let them pursue course of actions.  This is a legal matter about as pure a case of fraud as I've ever heard.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-29-2008 14:24
OK, I have thought and thought, slept on this, drank on this, and slept some more on this.

I think that even if I did beleive (which I DO NOT) that they would do the right thing, I would be just as responsible and negligent if I do not follow it through.

This would indeed make me a guilty party to this fraudulant act. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!!

I will be boxing up this stamp, with the envelope they mailed it to me in, as well as the little love note from them saying how much they appreciate what I am doing for them and how I will be in their prayers yada yada yada BS!

Along with this will be the "Alleged Violations form" filled out by myself, as well as a statement as to my conversation with them.

To HE** with these people.

My question is should I have my statement notorized? Also I would love to post pics of this stamp as well as the fraudulantly stamped document that is on their letter head as well as a link to their website. Would that be wrong?

jrw159

jrw159
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 08-29-2008 15:25
I think the picture of the stamp should be your new avatar.  Just kidding.  Have a good LABOR Day!!
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-29-2008 15:37
LOL Good one. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-29-2008 16:31
I would definitely contact Joe Kane about your question on how to handle any notarizations and all that.  If he hasn't provided you with his phone # yet, you might PM him to ask for it.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-29-2008 16:59
I have his # and tried to contact him this morning. I left a message and am quite sure he will return my call. We spoke about this previously but this was a question I had not thought of at that time. Thanks

jrw159
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 08-29-2008 03:14
John,
I am not sure of your relationship with pipeslayer but it seems you entered into this to do the right thing and set this guy and his company straight.  You may have now legally accepted some responsibility to report this apparent fraudulent action.  I am not a lawyer but I would probably argue that now since you know this "inspector" is a "fraud" and is performing inspections that he is not qualified to perform and there is a trail of some sort proving such that you have a responsibility to take action.  Brother,  Its not your butt that should burn its his and his company.  Let the lawyers sort it out.  It may be a hard lesson for him and his company to learn however it is a necessary one.

Just my opinion
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-29-2008 03:17
No relation with pipeslayer.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-29-2008 17:02
John,

I think you're doing the right thing.  They all knew right from wrong from the get go.  If the inspector had any integrity, he wouldn't buckle under pressure in the first place, even if it cost him his job.  After they're busted, the company rep tries to play dumb and everybody's sorry.  I once gave everybody the benefit of the doubt, but I realized a long time ago that it was no longer possible.  There's so much lying and deceit going on that it sickens me.  God gave everybody the basic knowledge to know the difference between right and wrong.  If it doesn't feel right, then it isn't right, and playing dumb is not an excuse.  I say fry 'em.        
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-30-2008 16:15
John West contacted me, and we spoke at length.  It sounds like John is going to handle the complaint properly.   I thanked him for taking the responsibility and the time to act on this imposter.   In my opinion, we all need to protect the profession with his level of earnestness!

The real shame is that IF the imposter is not an AWS CAWI or even a member of the society, there may be very little we can do about him.  At least the AWS Corporate Lawyer will send him a "Cease and Desist" letter.  It may also be possible to inform the "customer" who's products were possibly inspected by the imposter.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 08-31-2008 01:59
what kind of product was the imposter stamping his red ink onto?(areospace?)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-02-2008 20:28
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-02-2008 20:39
It is done!! I have sent all evidence to AWS with the alledged violation form. I fear that there is only so much AWS can do to expose these people though. I think I can expose them though, without it being slander. As long as the statments are true to the best of my knowledge, I should be able to name the inspector and the company involved.

jrw159
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-07-2008 03:04
When you're done with my stamp can i have it back i got another gig and they want to see it lol
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-07-2008 03:43
No problem Joey!!
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-31-2008 03:21
Pipeslayer

What product was this imposter inspecting?  What Certs was he signing off? 

Joe Kane
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 09-02-2008 12:06
Pipe work or mechanical, mostly B31.3 stuff. I dont think that any vessels are involved.
Parent - - By MICHAEL B (*) Date 10-08-2008 12:08
Do you guys think it might be a good idea to send the name of this company to our customers (General Contractors) and boycott or black ball, if you will, for their obvious deceitful work practice? This might be a very expensive lesson for this company.Especially with the state of the economy, hitting them in the wallet may be a very effective course of action. Any thoughts?

Michael
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-08-2008 12:24
I can see some intrinsic value in what you suggest, BUT;  We really do not know the full story about what happened there.  We have no hard evidence that the company had a policy of deceit.  We would be asking everyone to infer that the company was involved in continuing criminal activity.  We would be implying this, and then we could be liable for damages.  All we know for sure is that this individual had a phony CWI stamp and that he was using a forged credential to enhance or legitimize his inspection reports. 

When we look at this type of fraud allegation in the AWS Ethics Committee, we are very careful not to infer wrongdoing without direct evidence or sworn testimony. 
Parent - By trapdoor (**) Date 10-08-2008 23:45
Good awnser Joe. This is not 1850 and people can not go around lynching innocents.
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 10-16-2008 14:30
I don't think it will happen again with this company.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / bogus inspector