Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / quick weld
- - By 522029 (***) Date 09-03-2008 01:52
A lady called me Thursday wanting to know if I could fix her husbands aluminum boat. Said it had a couple of small holes (???) in the bottom. She was sure it would not take much to repair the "small holes" and could I just    "quick weld"    the holes so hubby could go fishing Saturday.

Well, I could not get to the job untill the middle of this week so she went somewhere else. Actually, I'm relieved she went elswwhere as I have a feeling this one could have been more trouble (with her, not the TIG work) than it would have been worth.

However, I am still wondering about that "quick weld".

Griff
Parent - By michael kniolek (***) Date 09-03-2008 01:57
Every weld a nonwelder wants is a Quick weld LOL
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 09-03-2008 02:42
If I had a nickel for every time I've been told by a prospective customer that, "it will take you longer to roll your leads out than it will to weld it"
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-03-2008 04:05
   A job like this is where You suggest that the guy get some low temp aluminum solder from the farm store & fix it Himself with a MAPP torch. ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS...
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-03-2008 04:13
Yep, BAD news every time with those kind. You feel your guts churning when they say the words "Quick & Fast" in the same sentence.

Bad every time my friend. STAY AWAY!

BTW, It probably had a hole the size of a bowling ball in it. No problem, you could just "quick weld" it. :-) S.W.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-03-2008 10:06
Hello Griff, sounds like everyone has already called it on this one. I do believe you are fortunate not to have ended up working on that one. Those "few small holes" are likely the result of the elusive and often hard to deal with "Aluminum Cancer", and if this boat has been in salt water any at all, those holes or other issues that might require welding repair are that much worse. For those on or visiting the forum that aren't familiar with aluminum repair, it has to be one of the more difficult to diagnose and deal with issues for any welder. Aluminum being porous as it is and also the various grades of this material that are out there, is sometimes very difficult to work with. If you hear back from her you'll have to give all of us "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey always says. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 09-03-2008 10:41
I believe just this week I got a stern warning from my teach about people wanting their aluminum boats welded. His advice was this, in a nutshell...... "RUN", lol. Unless you REALLY like them, like they're you're dad, brother or best friend, and it's not about the money.

It isn't ever going to be clean, it won't be a small hole like they say, it's most likely going to have paint on the inside, they're going to want it in a hurry to go fishing now, and they're not going to want to pay you for all the hassle. (and they probably won't leave you alone while you're doing it either)

So I really chuckled at this post, because I just heard this no more than a day or two ago :)

FWIW
Jenn
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-03-2008 11:44
LOL..."quick weld"....well, I found out that machine shop work is the same way...to my unskilled eye, I had a quick project for my F-I-L's end mill, and asked him if he had a couple minutes to drill 4 holes and then spot face off the top so the underside of the bolt heads would sit 90* to the holes in the slightly beveled surface of this aluminum casting. Well we ran into obstacle after obstacle with the setup(due to the shape of this casting) from what I thought would be a few minute setup, when it actually turned out to take several hours to complete. Now I understand why he had that look on his face when I described what I was wanting done and asked if he had a few minutes.....LOL

You probably did yourself a favor by missing out on that "quick weld" job.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 09-04-2008 14:07
I liked everyone's reply.  And yes, I feel I am better off missing this job.  It had trouble written all over.

Griff
Parent - - By Regmanager (**) Date 09-04-2008 15:54
Ok guys, Everybody remember this thread when you need your machine repaired and you tell us it shouldn't take long or it's just a small problem. LOL. We run into this everyday repairing machines. We are happy to fix it, but it usually is more than meets the eye. Joe
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 09-04-2008 20:10
You also have a good point!

Griff
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 09-05-2008 00:42
No such thing as a 5 min job.
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 09-05-2008 04:57
No kidding...Some day's it takes me that long to tie my Boot laces! LOL

Jeffrey
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 09-05-2008 17:19
I use velcro :)

fabrication always takes twice as long and costs twice as much as you expect, sometimes the simplest thing can take a very long time unless you have the right tools, somethings like cast iron repair are never fast
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / quick weld