Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / finally
- - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 09-03-2008 15:13
well after a long time of off and on practicing when I could get pipe or wasnt discouraged I think I finally got it. The last few nights I have been putting in some really good root passes with nice looking penetration thanks to some much apprecited help from a friend who took the time to come over and help. It is funny the guys that weld pipe for gas companys or pipelines at least around here in my area would all tell me how I would get it sooner or later or tell me how there is a big demand for pipe welders or just waste my time telling me how good they are but not one of them would take the time to come help me you can bet I would offer to go over and help someone and show them what little I know. It took about 2 minutes (honestly) for the guy that came over here too show me the one little thing I wasnt doing right. But oh well at least I think I got it or at least Im alot better than I was...So if you can and Im sure it would be appreciated show someone what they need to do we all got to learn something new somehow..
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-03-2008 15:17
cool deal...glad things are looking up for ya....
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-03-2008 15:25
Yep...I've had some great experiences with guys taking a few minutes to give me some instruction. There's a lot of big headed jerks out there who won't do a thing for you either.

Glad to hear you got it. Fitup is essential. Get the land & gap right & tack it up well, you should have no problems.

Just listen for the RRRRIIIPPPPPPPPP, keep your rod straight on with little if no angle & watch that keyhole. When you get it, it just falls right in. :-)

Good luck!! S.W.
Parent - - By Gregory Walker (*) Date 09-03-2008 23:23
I agree, there is not enuf guys out there that will take the time to help someone out when it only takes a second of their time.  GOLDEN ARMS  Im glad you finally figured it out that is such a good feeling.  It just happened for me about 6 months ago.  It took alot of nights in the driveway burnin rod for me. good luck
Parent - - By sjkelly328 (**) Date 09-04-2008 00:58
those golden arms are just scared you might take their jobs. i have showed a few people and it is great when you se them  go out and make a test.
Parent - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 09-05-2008 19:24
thanks for the comments guys I guess Im just a little proud of myself!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / finally