Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AISC Sophisticated PAint Endorsement
- - By eekpod (****) Date 08-31-2008 18:58
I know there are a couple of you out there who work for a facility that has the Sophisticated Paint Endoresment for your paint shops.
The owner of my company wants me to get our company certified for the paint endorsement. I have contacted QMC and filled out the form and have read through the 2005 standard, although I see there is a 2008 version waiting for a vote and final approval.
Question: Do any of you know of any books, litature or help in determining how to write the paint portion of my manual?
Someone else wrote our fabrication part, I need to add the paint procedures, I'd like opthers input. I tried a search online but didn't come up with anything.
How hard is the audit? what are areas to watch out for.  I need to get this done pretty quick, within the next month or so.
I contacted Atema, but havent heard back from them yet to see if they have any guideline to help.
Thanks Chris
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 08-31-2008 20:29 Edited 08-31-2008 22:16
If you are looking for technical infomation on surface prep, solvent cleaning , application, you could always chech out SSPC sp1, NACE.
When i needed to write a paint proceedure for Caltrans i simply used the guidelines in sspc sp1 along with the application data sheets of the paint system the made sure that the proceedure i wrote was in compliance with the Secs for CAL trans.
Do you have the self audit check list?
I do have a stanard surface prep and inspection proceedure if ur interested
see if this link will take you to  a forum on shop painting im sure there will be sdomeone who can give you guidance.

http://www.sspc.org/ask/Coatings_talk_FAQ.html
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 09-02-2008 16:42
Thank You, I'll try to post any questions that may come up to the SSPC.
Chris

BTW, AISC no longer has a checklist, they switched over to a specification.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-02-2008 20:12
Chris look into getting your paint inspectors into the CIP program with NACE. Very intensive seminar and testing and will give your inspectors a well rounded knowledge base in the field of paint inspection. You will learn alot about coatings and what causes coating failures, this in itself is worth every penny to avoid a costly mistake and subsequent backcharges. Learning to use the inspection equipment correctly was worth the week long torture session for me....LOL.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-03-2008 13:53
I know someone who took the test and they were basicly held hostage during the whole course, he lived right near the place it was being held but they made him rent a room in the hotel.
i think they make you prep paint and inspect a test piece then there is a pier rewiew, good class if you can take it.
MDK
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-03-2008 14:42 Edited 09-04-2008 12:48
They had a lab day where they bus you over to a paint shop and you get to sand blast, prime and paint your own test plates....and you also get to play inspector, so you get to put into practice all of the info that you were given. You get to use the whole gamma of test instruments and ask questions.....they also keep all of the testing equipment in the class room and you have the opportunity to get familiar with each piece after class each day for as long as you want. The instructors that taught our class were great, very much a "hands on" type of atmosphere. The (2) instructor's NACE CIP# was something in the low 30's....LOL, mine is CIP#14328 and I took the course in Mar/07...just to give you an idea of how long these guys have been certified themselves.

edit: I forgot to mention the log book....during the field trip to the shop to paint the test plates, you have an inspection log book to fill out and record your observations and testing figures in, the log book is part of your final grade and you must pass all 3 parts of the exam to become certified.

1) written exam
2) practical (hands on use of 7 pieces of testing/inspection equipment)
3) the log book(your entries in this book are critiqued and they look for several essential/required elements)
Parent - - By ziggy (**) Date 09-04-2008 01:54
Chris

If you shop is currently AISC certified to the 2006 Steel Building standard, try to weave the SPE elements into your existing quality manual and procedures. Both the Building Standard and the current SPE standard have corresponding element numbers (i.e. 5 - Management; 6 - Contract review; etc.) Some fabricators have found this to be the most economical way to do it - one manual; two certifications. If your shop applies sophisticated paint systems then more than likely you already have most if not all of the required "procedures" written and in practice. But, if your shop typically works with spraying one-coat primers, you will have your work cut out for you. The greater the risk, the more the paperwork!

BTW, I have also seen shops that are building and bridge certified (two different programs - building standard and bridge checklist) with the paint endorsement and they work with one manual. Very economical.

QMC and ATEMA are fine resources. They will help you as well.

Let us know how it all turns out!

ziggy
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 09-04-2008 15:31
Don't get too attached to the numbering system; standards do get changed and rearranged.  It would probably be useful, though, to keep a listing of what section of your manual satisfies what section of the AISC standard.

Hg
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 09-04-2008 16:35
We made our fabrication manual numbers match the element numbers from AISC.  This way it matched and if there was a question on Element # Document and Data Control, I new that all I had to do was flip my manual open to chapter 8 and there would be my procedures for doc. and data control.
I have spoken w/ Atema, veryknowledgable and helpful.  Irocically, there is a vote in two weeks inregards to the approval of the new 2008 version of the SPE, although, I can't wait for that, I need to get certified to the old one and upgrade from there.  Chris
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 09-04-2008 17:48
Don't get too attached to section numbers.  If they don't change in 2008 they might still change in 2010 or 2012.

The people who write the standards might come up with a more sensible way to organize the document, or need to add or delete a section, or whatever, and they shouldn't have to keep in mind people's personal choice in numbering their QCM.  Control over the section numbering and order will get harder and harder for AISC to maintain as they do more joint standards with other organizations.  The revised SPE is a joint project with SSPC, and I believe there are other collaborations that have been thought of as well.  Plus there are other standards out there that various clients might require--ISO, Steel Bridge Collaboration, etc.

So if the sections change, you have two choices--move your QCM around to match, or make yourself a reference table showing where each item is met by your documentation.  Me, I'd pick door #2.

Hg
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-04-2008 18:13
HgTX is right...that really sucked because last year, they did exactly that ...moved stuff around on us, so we were scrambling at the last minute to make our manual match..."again".
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 09-05-2008 12:16
Isn't that what the cross referance matrix is for? 

To be able to say for instance if someone was looking for AISC building standard 5.6.2.1 Organisation ( I just opened the standard and picked one randomly) in my manual its in my Section 4 page 3. 
This way anyone/ an auditor can easily find whatever they are looking for.  If you have a cross matrix referance (which I belive is required) then you wouldn't HAVE to re-number your manual, although if it did match the standard, it does make it easier.
Chris
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AISC Sophisticated PAint Endorsement