Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI/Ohio state/ultrasonic
- - By daniel1988 Date 09-04-2008 23:51 Edited 09-05-2008 00:17
I just finished an A.A.S-welding technology degree at a local college and i'm wanting to take my CWI.
You have to have 5 years of experience, 3yrs if you include the school. There is no way around this is there? I'm not having any luck finding a job in the central Texas area(unless you want to work for $8.00hr with a degree), and I really would like my CWI Since we had a class covering it, and all 3 of the codes available to take with it.

I'm also looking at Ohio State's Welding Engineer program, any feedback on it. I had 2 metallurgy classes, I'd like to expand on that. We did the 4 major processes in all positions, and I was one of the top ones in my class,I love open roots, but I don't really want to weld. I want the CWI, I know I can pass it.

Also how do you get into radiography, and ultrasonic testing? We learned about both, but didn't have any hands on, is there any certification for these?
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 09-05-2008 02:56
Just get some experience! Don't be too particular, starting! I've welded everything from garbage tucks to
nuke piping over my years in the trade.

Get to know what you're doing first, welding wise, concerning inspection. Make a connection with a CREDIBLE inspector and go from there,
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 09-05-2008 23:58 Edited 09-06-2008 00:09
You have the opportunity to get a "real degree" in welding...
No, there is no way around the experience clause, and for that I'm grateful. It saves the educated idiot (often times anyway) from jumping into a certification that requires more than just booksmarts. I've always considered the CWI profession as an engineering job that us college drop-outs can get without a degree. And it don't pay so bad neither.
You could always go to work as a grunt for any NDE company during the summer break and have some solid exposure to the industry.
The options available to you are quite envious!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI/Ohio state/ultrasonic