Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Lint free rags for PT
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-03-2008 12:54
Lint free rags for PT

What brand of lint free rags do you all use, im thinking of changing what we use. When I look at some of the welders informational checks I see a large amout of lint on the surface.
MDK
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-03-2008 20:08
There are paper wipes available that work well. The few cloth wipes that are truly lint free are usually synthetics and they are not very good at wiping up anything.

Many PT procedures simply state that the wipes used should produce minimal lint. Cotton cloth from discarded t-shirts, etc. work well enough for most jobs if the surfaces have a decent surface finish. Rough ground surfaces or castings are likely to result in some lint residue regardless of the type of wipe used.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 09-04-2008 00:09
i have kim wipes they are ok at best, ill try some cotton products
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 09-04-2008 12:54
Kim wipes usually work the best.  "Best" being relative to some that absorb better yet leave little lint balls that show up in the developer.  I have used kim wipes and cotton and even paper towels (not recommended) and I have always gone back to the Kim wipes.  I am not sure, but I think that the kim wipes come in differrent grades so try a different grade before you try something like cotton.
Just my opinion
Dave
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-04-2008 13:26
Very few wipes are truly lint free. The surface of the test piece will usually dictate the amount of lint left behind.

I've used KimWipes as well and they work as good as anything else.

As I said, my procedure simply states "the wipes used shall produce minimal lint on the test surface", rather than "the wipes shall be lint free." That leaves me with options such as paper towel, KimWipes, cotton rags, etc. for various test surfaces.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-04-2008 18:20
I've seen people try to use toilet paper. I believe that should be in the next edition of the farm code.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-04-2008 19:09
Only the "lint free" toilet paper should be used! As suggested, it is Farm Code bound!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 09-04-2008 22:47
Hey, I just saw a commercial for that, with the little bear running around.  I guess if it won't stick to bear fur, maybe it won't stick to welds...

Hg
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-05-2008 00:06
We can use that as a means of qualifying the wipes.

"A representative sample of the wipe to be qualified shall be rubbed briskly against the backside of a bear. The wipe shall be disqualified if it leaves an unacceptable quantity of lint adhering to the bear's behind."

The has about the right tone for the Farm Code.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 09-05-2008 00:22
What kind of PPE does the technician need for that Al?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-05-2008 04:08
A good pair of sneakers and a slow assistant!

Al
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-05-2008 00:40
Would small bunnies be considered lint free? Thats what most bears use. LOL

jrw159
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-05-2008 04:09
So that's were all the pink bunnies come from!

Al
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-05-2008 13:00
Disclaimer: No actual bunnies were harmed in the development of this technique. :-)

jrw159
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 09-06-2008 07:11
We buy rags found in the wood finishing section of a paint store that are specifically used for applying oil based stain (or other hand rubbed finishes) on furniture.  They are white and have a fine weave similar to a cloth diaper.  On some packages they are called "cotton napkin".  They are hemmed on all sides so there are no stray threads to collect on spatter or weld ripples.

Check out these folks, among their products are both "diaper" and "napkin" choices, a description and a photo.

http://www.ercwipe.com/lint-free-towels.html

~thirdeye~
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Lint free rags for PT