Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Name changes
- - By ctacker (****) Date 09-17-2008 15:45
How would one deal with a name change on thier WPS? (QW201.1)
I am soon going to have a huge task of changing names on all our WPS (over 700 between 2 of our shops).
any ideas would be appreciated!
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 09-17-2008 16:00
An easier way of dealing with it would be to add a statement in your QC manual that company X has bought/merged/is now company Y and any WPS'/PQR's, etc written while under company X have been adopded by company Y.  Or something to that effect.

If you're physically going to change the name on the WPS, I still think you have to add a statement in your QC manual referring to what you did. 

Sorry, I read QW201.1 after typing the above. 

Anyhow, to answer you, either make all new WPS's or possibly the ol' white out and typewriter (wouldn't be my 1st choice).

Our company chose the unexplained route of making and qualifying all new PQRs and WPS' with the new name.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-18-2008 00:48
You do not change the "names" of the PQRs that support the WPSs. You can develop a matrix showing the old name and list the new name so a reader can correlate the old and the new.

You might consider a system that is rational based rather than chronological.

Personally, I use a system that is as follows: Process - Base Metal/Base Metal/ Filler Metal. Example:  GTA-1/8/6, the process: GTAW, Base Metal P1 (carbon steel) joined to P8 (austenitic stainless steel) using an F6 filler metal.

Good luck. You have a major task ahead of you.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-18-2008 04:50
Al, not sure if you are talking the same "names" as I am.
I should have been a little more clear :) ( I apologize if you are talking the same thing I am)

My problem is our company changed hands again (2nd time in a year). and according to ASME you need to change the WPS to reflect the new company name!
I have a matrix that lists the Process - Base Metal/Base Metal/ Filler Metal like you, but all my WPS & PQR's are in a binder and I have been in the process as time allows to
make PDF files out of them and hyperlink them from the Matrix.
Lately I stopped making the pdf's (only on the WPS's, I'm still proceeding on the PQR's) because they reflect the old company name so its useless to make them until I get the company name straightened out.

I think my easiest solution would be to make labels and put them over the headers of the WPS and then scan them into pdf's and then I can print them as needed.
or I could by a rubber stamp with the new name and stamp beside the old name so both names are on the WPS in case I need to fall back on an old one for some unseen reason.
I could use other Ideas or suggestions if anyone has had the same problem.
I'm not even sure if we won't sell again soon.

p.s we are not selling out because we don't make money! we are a high end fab/machine shop that is capable of machining up to 40k lb casts and weldments.
we have a foundry almost next door that is capable of pouring 80k lb castings that feed our machine shop.
we have maxed out on our bonuses almost every month for the last 2 years. we just keep getting bought out by a bigger investment company.

Thanks,
Carl
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-18-2008 11:59 Edited 09-18-2008 12:22
You are right. I didn't understand what you are doing.

Are you scanning the WPSs and then converting them to pdf?

You could continue to scan them and then import the file to a MSWord document as a "picture" or pdf. The MSWord file can have a header containing the company logo, name, WPS, revision, and page number that will be on every sheet. That's how I handle the paperwork I do for my client. When everything is completed I print them as pdf to keep anyone from monkeying with them. I still have the original WPS as a MSWord file so I can revise the WPS should it become necessary at a future date. The PQRs are never changed unless it is to reflect a change in ownership or the code, but that isn't something done frequently.

This is the ideal time to make any editorial changes to the WPS you find necessary. You may be able to consolidate some of the WPSs to reduce the paperwork burden and to simplify the system.

I would note the changes as a revision listed on the last page of the WPS. I maintain a revision history on the last page of my WPSs so I have ready access to what was changed and why.

It sounds like your management has a good business plan if you are doing good financially in the current business climate. Even with a good plan, management needs competent workers to execute the plan.

I've attached the first page of a WPS I recently wrote as an example of the "header" that contains the type of information you might want on every page. If you work with MSWord, the process is pretty straight forward. You notice I don't try to cram everything on to one page. I find that you have to make the test so small it is difficult to read and it looks cluttered. Once a format is adopted, the welders know just where to look for the information they need to set up the job. Also, it is easy to split the columns to include more than one welding process or a combination of filler metals when the root is deposited with one filler metal and the fill passes are deposited with a different process or filler metal.

The Annex system allows me to provide additional details so I can address code or project requirements in detail. The welder only has to access the annex if he needs that information and it isn't adding to the bulk of the basic WPS. From the first page of the WPS you can see that Annex A-P8 lists all the base metal specifications that can be welded with this WPS. The annex also includes specific preheat requirements based on the thickness of the base metal if preheat is required as in the case with carbon and low alloy steels. The listing of base metal specifications can be expanded to include additional (P8 or M8 austenitic stainless steels in this case) as the need arises. Other annexes are used to address assembly, joint details (various grooves), and acceptance criteria (so the welder knows what the requirements are for the classification of the work being performed).

Best regards - Al
Attachment: WPSformatpage1.pdf (48k)
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-18-2008 14:05
Al,
first off thanks for being so helpful in the forum.
I'm not as computer literate as most. our copy machine scans directly to pdf and puts them in my scan folder. so once they are scanned
they are already PDF's.

I tried to get the company to let me change the format of the WPS but they are stuck in their ways and refused to change. currently they are all crammed into one sheet. attached is a WPS that I use to test welders . luckily one of our foundry engineers will be doing the bulk of the work. I been assigned to do about 80 when the time comes. (we are still waiting on coorporate to give us a logo).

Regards,
Carl
Attachment: WPSIM-26Rev5.pdf (42k)
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-18-2008 14:53
I think I would want to revise that wps also. looks a bit impossible
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Name changes