Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Time for Change
- - By bamaCWI (**) Date 08-30-2008 22:36
I have reached a point in which I dread the next project. I have been third party QA for bridge fabrication for 4 years and tired of this rat race. I have about four years experience working with ASME & API vessel fabrication, most of that time as layout, fit, and a lot of welding. I did however perform quality inspections during this time, but only to the shops quality control plan. Codes and specifications were off limits. I was thinking about an API cert and traveling down that path for a while. I have about six months to prepare for the transition but I am uncertain of where to start. Any suggestions?

Regards
Scott
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-31-2008 01:27
Check out Mark Smith Training Services.
He has a different training for the API certifications than Code West.
His class has a different pace and is given a month or sow before the test to giv the student time to digest the information.
If you are wanting to go full tits boogie, Code West has a test prep course that is first rate. But all you will learn is how to pass the test.
Good luck as the API field is wid open right now. A person who has field background and a CWI can almost name their price.
BABRT's
Parent - By bamaCWI (**) Date 08-31-2008 21:20
Thanks for the info. I have been on the internet researching the API and National Board sites also.

Scott
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-01-2008 04:07
dbigkahunna,
Do you think there is more work/money opportunities with the 510,570 or 653 cert? In my area (NC) there isn't many API opportunities except possibly at the coast with above ground storage tanks. There are a few tank farms in some of the larger towns. What if you were willing to travel, which cert would you suggest if you only had one along with the AWS-CWI? The most bang for the buck so to speak.
Thanks,
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-01-2008 04:36
Unless you live where there are a lot of vessels or tanks, then ya gotta travel. In NC you have the Greensboro breakout tank farms then down to Charlotte, spartenburg and doraville in GA then up to Richmond and Fairfax. In your case a 653/570 would be good. THe next combo would be 510/570
Another thing to consider tie the steel Tank Institute AST inspector program. As more states tighten down on the smaller (less than 30 foot diameter) tanks there is going to be a growing need for STI/UL tank inspectors. This is a relative new program that can be a stand alone certification of you live in a state where these inspections are being pushed, They will in all 50 but not right now. A 653, STI and your CWI could keep you chingles busy right where you are if you market yourslf well.
BABRT's
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 09-05-2008 02:29
Thanks for the infomation. I was going to try to get something before the end of the year. I've considered PT, MT and UT or possibly an API cert if I can swing it. I don't think the bottom is going to fall out of the oil industry if you know who gets elected but it is something to think about. The NDE's could be utilized all over NC but possibly not quite as much money as the API certs. Thanks again for the advice.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-19-2008 16:21
in which range is the price?

Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-19-2008 20:54
It must be a good time. I had a recruiter call me yesterday for a quality manager job. CWI, MT,PT,UT $90k a year. Seems like a good deal for someone interested in middle tennessee. Its outside my commute distance. The guy seemed nice and I am familar with the company so I told him I would post it on my website. If anyone is interested I can send the contact details or you can go to  http://www.weldingdata.com/MidTennesseeJob.htm and either fill out the form that sends him an email OR just look on the page and his contact info is there .
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Time for Change