Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Factory Visit
- - By Joey (***) Date 09-17-2008 04:53 Edited 09-17-2008 05:53
Good day! I guess many of you have been invited to assess or audit your vendor or sub vendor's steel fabrication shop prior to the award of contract. Do you have criteria to follow or you just simply walk around the workshop and look on the condition of available equipment? Do you prepare a checklist prior to your visit? How do you perform your audit? I've prepared a checklist on what to see and asked based on contract specification, but I would like to know if someone among you have better ideas and guidelines.

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 09-17-2008 12:31
1. Verify that the vendor is fully aware of, and capable of producing product in compliance with the particular job specifications.
2. Note any exceptions to review with your engineering dept.
3. Verify that the vendor is fully aware of, and capable of producing product in compliance with the particular job schedule.
4. Review the vendor's quality manual in order to verify that their quality system is in compliance with the specific code or codes regulating fabrication. It's best to get a copy in the mail, in advance, for pre-study.
5. Audit their shop floor process to verify the procedures specified in the quality manual are being adhered to. You can make a checklist based on their own quality manual if you get one in advance.
6. It's best to let the vendor know your intentions in advance so that they have a chance to prepare and make revisions to their system if necessary.
7. IMHO, don't be a dick. If the vendor is close, help them out with good advice on how to become compliant. Be prepared to offer information and be helpful rather than overly judgmental. After your best effort, if they just aren't capable, don't settle for the lowest bid, get another vendor.

Tim
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 09-17-2008 12:48
You should start by developing a checklist from your project specificaitons regarding vendor supplied materials.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-17-2008 20:25
Ask for references, i.e., to whom and when he has sold material (or equipment) similar in quality and quantity to what he pretends to sell you.
Is it shown on his catalog that he's able to fabricate what he's trying to sell you? Don't take catalogs for granted. It's happened to me more than a couple of times that equipment included in catalogs were actually never made by the vendor, and were in the catalog just to make it more appealing and beautiful.
Don't neglect to check the references. It's happened to me more than a couple of times that the reference, i.e., the company that was supposed to be happy with the vendor, was actually mad at the world with him, or worse still, never heard about him.  
Check them by making a telephone call to every one (or at least the majority) of them. Don't send e-mails or faxes. In my personal experience, that kind of e-mails and faxes are never answered.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 09-20-2008 02:58
Take Giovannis advice and I will add my own.

Make you own checklist with regards to your qualtiy requirements.  Things to include will vary depending on yor needs but I would:

1. Review quality plan
2. review WPS and PQR
3. Review Work instructions
4. Ensure welders utilize all of the above
5. Review inspection procedures

the list can and should go on but once again you need to make the list based on your requirements.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 09-30-2008 16:39
All good responses above-

As Goose mentioned the list can go on and on-

As far as the specific visit-
I would suggest you contact the vendor ahead of time and discuss the purpose of your visit and make an appointment with the correct contact individual there (i.e. quality manager, manufacturing superintendent, etc,) .  Advise him your arrival time and est. time to complete the visit.  Ask for any required shop safety equipment, (hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe, etc. and BRING YOUR OWN.)  Arrive on time!  Have an opening meeting to discuss how basically you would like your visit will go  (i.e. shop tour, meet with QA manager for document review, welder certification, calibration documents (don't forget lunch break)  processes review, blasting procedures, painting shop, etc).

Send a written plan/checklist ahead of time, so the guy can be prepared and knows what to expect from you.  The last thing he wants is surprize requests that takes time to locate or compile, and you really do not want to may make him look bad in front of his employer.  You are there to develop a professional working relationship with this vendor.  If he has what you need he'll get it, and if he doesn't, he may advise you ahead of time. 

Do not stray, and work off your checklist - but be flexible when you get there.

Make good notes, but don't ask for document copies unless really required.  I mean ..Do you really need a copy of Eddie Sparks welder certs at this time?

Try not to interupt any work in progress in the shop

Do not criticize peoples efforts

Have a closing meeting to discuss your findings, compliments, compliances, non-compliances, etc... at that time provide a written list if any required action items are still needed from the supplier.   Keep an eye on your watch and try not to overstay your estimated time to complete, and thank them for their time.  Take good notes and write your report as soon as possible.

THIS MAY SOUND STUPID but this is what can happen without a plan:
Richard the inspector phones and says he will be here Tuesday morning.  He finally arrives at 9:20 am.  We walk into my office where he drops his briefcase.
I ask, "where would you like to start?"  He says "up to you".  I say, How about a tour?  "OK" he says.  I scramble to find him a half-way clean hard hat, some safety goggles that will fit over his prescription glasses, and tell him to stay in the yellow lines because he doesn't have steel toe shoes.

We tour the facility.  Richard talks about the packer game mostly and how much money he lost on a bet.  I introduce him to the weld shop foreman, and show him our weld shop, and welder certification booth...he just nods.  I show him our NDT office, we meet the NDT guy who describes our capabilites, he shows him the equipment.  We meet the lead man in the paint booth, etc. etc.

We return to the office.  Richard sits down opens his notebook and asks, "can I see your welder certs?"  We stand, return to the shop, back to the foremans office where we were 45 minutes ago, and he show him the certs.  We return to the office where his notebook is.  He writes someting in the book.  Then he says, "can I see your NDT equipment calibration reports?"  We return back to the shop NDT office, interrupt my inspector again...and then show him the docs and cal stickers he wants.  Back to the office.  "Can I see your NDT inspectors level II certification?" is his next request.  I tell Richard that the certs are back in the inspectors office where we just came from...but it is hard to hear because my teeth are clenched soo tight and smoke is coming out of my ears... 

anyway-
(Don't be a Dick, I mean Richard.)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-30-2008 17:35
I enjoyed reading this thread...and I can share in some chuckles with BillM regarding the story about Richard the Inspector, I believe that fella has visited our shop before.

BTW, Bill you gave an excellent reply about the specific visit to the vendor, in my humble opinion. If things went that smoothly during a shop tour or visit, it would be a pleasure to have someone visit our shop, but with many visits by the project owner's inspector it goes like the story of Richard the inspector.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Factory Visit