Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding parameter matrix for estimating?
- - By Square_wave Date 02-17-2003 21:32
Could someone point me to a good reference for welding parameters?

I'm trying to set up some basic weld data for equipment and timing of these jobs for estimation purposes. What I need is WFS & voltages in a matrix of weld size & type for either flat, horizontal or out of postion. I would also need this information to be further sub-divided by electrode size using 75/25 (Argon/CO2).

I know this is asking a lot but I figured this would be a good place to look. Does the AWS have a "certified" parameter set for manual welding that one could use for estimating? I do have a small budget to purchase this material if that is required.

Thanks,

Roger
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 02-17-2003 22:24
Ed Craig and a few other companies have weld estimators. I don't know that anyone will provide "certified" parameter values.

Plus your on a budget!
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-18-2003 15:11
I have found that the welding data published by the electrode manufacturers is very close to results I have obtained. Get the deposition rates and % of deposition efficiency for given parameters. Figure your total weld volume plus a percentage (I use 10%) for variations. Now you can estimate how many pounds of wire you need.

Timing the job is more difficult, depending on position, welder access and comfort, etc. A study I conducted using data loggers showed that the average SHOP welder, doing run of the mill structural steel, mostly flat and horizontal grooves and fillets, had 1 hour arc time in an 8 hour shift. These guys were not slacking off. But obviously, considering many variables, your mileage can vary.

The Lincoln Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding is cheap in price and has a lot of useful info. (No, I don't work for Lincoln)

CHGuilford

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding parameter matrix for estimating?