Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / FCAW and my Problem customer.
- - By pataterchip (**) Date 09-23-2008 14:21
If a welder qualifies with E71T-1 which was gas shielded, following a prequalified WPS. Is there any reason in AWS D1.1 he cannot go install the job with E71T-8 Self shielded of same diameter wire, to another prequalified WPS(1 that allow self shielding) without takeing another qualification test? I cannot find anything that limits welder qualification as far as shielding is concerned in FCAW?
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 09-23-2008 14:39
i believe you are correct. but i am curious what others may have to say on this also. item 3 in table 4.5 has me wondering.

JJ
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-23-2008 15:02
That would apply only to WPS's qualified by testing. The filler metal class would have to be addressed on the pWPS and the joint used from section 3 would have to be one in which shielding is not required or optional.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-23-2008 14:50
Hello pataterchip, I believe you are right, the only exceptions that I could see would be in a case where there were additional seismic requirements in place. In a case such as that you would need to qualify the welder using an accepted seismic self-shielded wire and stick with that particular brand when performing the field welds. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-23-2008 14:56
The welder is qualified since table 4.12 does not address shielding gas as a variable for performance qualification. The welder is qualified (unless some other contract documents restrict this).

Questions could be raised as to what is another process. However note that in at least one case where confusion could exist, the code addresses this. This is in the fact that the table clearly identifies GMAW-S.

I too may be missing something.

HAve a good day.

Gerald
Parent - - By sandman Date 09-23-2008 15:18 Edited 09-23-2008 15:32
I thought that d1.1 4.21 says that the welding personnol shall follow a wps applicable to the qualification test required. All of the WPs essential variable limitations of 4.7 and in addition to 5.22 (so I think table 4.5 number 19 applys) sorry about the changes
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-23-2008 15:40
They do for the welding being done during the performance qualification test. The variables would apply during the test. That does not indicate they apply for anything in the future.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-23-2008 17:55
I had a reply all typed out and then my internet connection quit on me....

...anyway refer to Table 4.12 for the essential variables that require a welder to requalify and notice that there is no essential variable for gas. So the welder can qualify with FCAW-Gas shielded and also weld with FCAW-Self shielded without requalifying as long as all of the other variables are adhered to. FCAW-Gas and FCAW-Self are considered the same process.

JJ, Table 4.5 is for the essential variables that would require a WPS to be requalified...so it doesn't apply to the welder only the WPS.
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 09-23-2008 19:58
Thank you all for taking the time to respond, all ended well. Just took some "code book beating" that way they get the picture and you don't leave any marks.
Thanks again
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-24-2008 12:07
LOL...."code book beatings"....I'll have to remember that one.......:-)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / FCAW and my Problem customer.