Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stainless Tank for Phosphate 403 CT
- - By TimGary (****) Date 02-20-2003 14:49
Hello,
Which grade of Stainless Steel would be recommended for a Liquid Phosphate 403 CT tank liner?
Would 316L work?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-20-2003 19:28
If by liquid phosphate you mean a water solution of a phosphate salt at atmospheric pressure and room temperature (up to 60 ºC or 140 ºF is OK), such as sodium phosphate used to condition boiler feed water, or any other similar application, then I'd recommend three kinds of materials I've used successfully for many years in engineering projects.

1st. The tank is small, say 2 to 3 cubic meters (70 - 105 cuft): use polypropylene. Is cheaper than lined steel and performs very well.
2nd. The tank is larger, but less than 20,000 cuft.: use FRP (fiberglass reinforced polyester). It's also cheaper than lined steel and performs very well.
3rd. If for some reason you do want a metallic tank, then use a rubber lined carbon steel tank. Rubber withstands very well phosphoric acid and water soluble phosphate salts up to a temperature of 90 ºC or 160 ºF, but to have a safety margin let's say 80 ºC or 140 ºF.

Now, if "liquid phosphate 403 CT" is a special material different than the water solution of a phosphate salt or phosphoric acid, let me know it and I'll check if I know of a suitable material for it.

Regards
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - - By biyahero27 Date 02-21-2003 05:11
Tim,

We already made the same as yours (its a transportable tank) and we used carbon steel with rubber lining. I suggest you use two layer of 1/8" rubber lining. This is cheaper than stainless or any othe exotic materials used in the chemical industry.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 02-21-2003 22:52
Thanks for the replies,
The project I'm bidding on is defined as a 1600 gal rectangular steel, open topped tank, lined with 361L SS, meant to hold the Phosphate I mentioned.
That and a few basic dimensions is all the information received from the client.
I must assume that the client knows what he wants. I was just curious as I am not familiar with this chemical.
If I can get any further information about this project, I'll post it in order to appease any body else's curiosity that might haved been piqued.
Thanks again,
Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stainless Tank for Phosphate 403 CT