Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / chain vice
- - By tigrooter (**) Date 09-28-2008 23:26
I'm looking for a good chain type vice. Is ridged the only one out there?
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 09-28-2008 23:59
no they are not. I have used other types before and in my opinion the 6" Ridgid is the best there is.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-29-2008 00:45
tigger...is this what you are lookin for?
Parent - - By tigrooter (**) Date 09-29-2008 00:58
yes it is. i'm looking to get some for my new rig. had a channel on my old bed new bed has a flat deck.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-29-2008 01:33
go price a new one and get back to me.... i blasted and painted this one ...New condition. i will take half price of a new one.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-29-2008 19:35
Hello tigrooter, I know you already got a good reply on this, but to add just a bit to it. I have some pictures of the same or similar Rigid model that has been previously posted, the beauty of this particular unit is that it can be mounted in a number of really handy ways. The pictures that I have of it are a tripod design that I put together with removable legs, you could also mount on a stinger, off of your main working deck, or any number of other handy ways. So here are a few more pics. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-30-2008 00:05
i like that aevald! keeps it off of the truck . will stow away in a tool box....great idea.
Parent - - By Sberry (***) Date 09-30-2008 00:20
I have them on receiver tubes.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-30-2008 06:20
Hello Sberry, definitely a great way to make your rig more versatile and avoid the clutter. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-30-2008 14:04
Aevald,
  Nice set up. One question. How long are the inserts on the stand? Is there a possibility that while working with a piece a leg could be dropped? I have seen this set up before, but with keeper pins to insure the legs do not come off while fitting up or working with the piece.

None the less, great for storage, and portability.

Now I can not resist. :-) This is a little off topic, SUPRISE!! What, pray tell, would anyone be shooting at in the shop that would require the "No Shooting" sign? LOL Is this for the inspector to wear?

John
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-30-2008 14:59
Hello John, I figured somebody would pick-up on that one and wonder what the heck that was all about. Of course when I took the pictures I wasn't focused on what was in the peripherals. To answer your first question, the inserts are 6" long, yes you are also right, it would be better if they had keeper pins or some other sort of retention set-up, although to date I haven't lost one yet. As to the sign, I could make up some sort of wild story along the lines of your comment, but I'll try to be honest and include the real story. One of the local mills has land holdings to go along with their paper-making operation. They approached us about a project to make some signs to put up in the areas of their logging operations, so that's the example piece. They are providing the materials and any other necessary items. There you have it John. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-30-2008 15:32
Allan,
  Six inches is pretty good. You would really have to get wild with it to drop a leg. :-)

Sign makes perfect sense now, but you had me going for a second there. LOL

Take care,
John
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / chain vice