Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / welder certification
- - By n5uzt (**) Date 02-22-2003 03:29
i have a company that wants to certifi all thier welders in the flat position only. they make reciever hitches in a assembly line out of square tubing welded in flat position only, useing gmaw solid wire with 90/10 gas they want to do in house guided bend test, can they do so and have me as a cwi over see all tests and get all welders certified by aws? there is a local aws certified test station near by,i know i can watch all welders do the test plates and stamp them and then take the test plates to him to bend but they want to do it in house and not have this exspence. what are the requirements to be able to do thier own testing, and also have the welders certified.
Parent - By biyahero27 Date 02-22-2003 12:55
In house bend test can be done with the approval of the client's engineer or representative.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-22-2003 18:03
Certification of welders in accordance with most codes requires NO outside or 3rd party involvement. The manufacturers represenative may sign off on associated performance qualifacation records.

If the manufacturer has a quality system, that system should specify there methods for "Controlling Special Processes" and there may be restrictions more stringent than those contained in the code of construction.

To perform the qualification test in accrodance with all the codes I am aware of, a WPS is also required.

Then manufacturer doesn't need anyone to certifiy their welders, they just need to follow the requirements of their quality system and the applicable code.

"Teach a man to fish...."

Have nice day

G Austin
Iuka Mississippi
Parent - - By n5uzt (**) Date 02-23-2003 16:14
thanks for the reply gerald,
i will talk to this compnay and let them know, if they want aws certification what is best way to go?
they have in place wps for thier mfg. of these hitch's
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-23-2003 22:32
If they want AWS certification I would think an AWS Accredited test facility would be the way to go. If you mean just in accordance with an AWS code, i would suggest whatever the code used fdor fabrication requires or allows.

G Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2003 00:06
Could I suggest giving the tests in the 2G position? The tests is as easy as the 1G to the welder, and it will give the welders the 1G cert as well. It might eliminate turning the piece to achieve a 1G position all the time. I give all my guys a 2G test when I hire them. You can build a jig to bend those test coupons in with a 10 or 20 ton bottle hyd. jack. The dimensions are right there in AWS D1.1 (Figure 4.15 in the 98 edition of D1.1). That is what I've used for years to bend coupons with. I placed the bottle jack under the "Die" member and jacked it up into the "Plunger" with the sample in between.
You can do it without involving anyone on the outside. Saves $$$'s!
They'll love ya for that,
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2003 00:09
After thought, follow the code that you have to work to. I'm sure the tests are the same if not similar to D1.1 structural code as far as number of bend samples and such.
JOhn Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / welder certification