Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT Training
- - By fbrieden (***) Date 09-30-2008 21:25
I'm fortunate to have my school invest in UT training for me at GE Inspection Technologies in Lewistown, PA in November. Suggestions for pre-course reading will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Parent - By Maxpayne575 (*) Date 10-01-2008 02:42
Well, you'll probably get plenty of reading material at the course, however, assuming your starting at the beginning, the General Dynamics books are always a safe bet, and they're relatively inexpensive.
Parent - - By ndeguy (*) Date 10-01-2008 14:49
How is your maths? People stumble on theoretical UT course work generally on the maths - three areas in particular. Trigonometry (sin, cos, tan) to work out refracted angles, scientific notation of large or small numbers for wavelengths (you will be dealing with millions of cycles per second, thousands of metres per second and thousandths of metres) and transposition of formulae, if x = y/z, then z = y/x. If your math is OK then you'll be adept at using these three. If not, then work on them so that your course time can be spent learning ultrasonic theory and not maths.

A book I believe should be required reading for all materials, welding and inspection personnel is J E Gordon's "New Science of Strong Materials" which is so well-written that after reading a layman can sensibly discuss fracture mechanics and crack growth. Specifically for the UT tech is J.C Drury's "Ultrasonic Flaw Detection for Technicians" available from the BINDT.

Enjoy your course!
Parent - By Taintedhalo (*) Date 10-01-2008 16:06
Here is a link with the Theory. This will help alot.

http://www.olympusndt.com/data/File/panametrics/UT-technotes.en.pdf
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-02-2008 11:07
Another good source of information is a book by the name of "Mathematics and formulae in NDT" from BINDT. You can get that from the ASNT library.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-01-2008 16:38
sorry for the off topic reply,

Please tell Jim Fauth "hello" for me. If you are fortunate enough to have him for the instructor, you will enjoy his class. Not sure how much actual teaching he is doing these days, but he is the director of the educational and training department. I have had several UT classes in Lewistown that were taught by him. He remembers one of the first years that he taught our class.....they had to postpone class one day until they could shovel the snow off the roof because they were afraid that it would cave in on us.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 10-01-2008 19:45
John is right, Jim is great instructor and really knows UT. If you look at hotels.com before you go there is only 1 hotel with a restaurant and or lounge STAY THERE. THERE IS NO WHERE I MEAN NO WHERE ELSE TO GO. This is a very small sleepy little town.You'll have all the time to stdy as you will not be busy. Right now it will be cold and as john said it will snow. But good luck.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-02-2008 10:03
You're right.  Jim is a great instructor.  Except he is now working for Hellier NDT in Niantic CT.  At least he was when I went there in Feb this year.  Jim can also tell you where to find the good restaurants in the area as well. 

Another great website for NDE information is www.ndt-ed.org 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT Training