Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Cert Question
- - By Luke10 Date 02-25-2003 16:40
I know most of the question deal with AWS certification, but I have a question about ASME BPV Section IX.

We have a PQR that was competed on SA 312 Pipe. By code definition this would be a P8 to P8 grouping. I would like to complete the WPQ on the actual product which would be a A182 F316/F316L to A351 Grade CF3M. I know the A182 is a S8 group, but I believe the A351 Grade CF3M falls in unassigned group since I can't find it in QW-422. I know this material selection is valid for PQR.

My question what is the range qualified on WPQ? If the material was P8 to P8, the range would be P-no./S-no. 1 thru 11, 34, 4X. But since this has an S# and an unassigned, my guess is S-no 1 thru 11 to A351 Grade CF3M but I am not for sure. Does any have any advice?
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-25-2003 20:20
In 2001 ASME IX (I'm sure it is in earlier vesions too) SA351 Gr CF3M is P#8 Group 1. Also see QW-420.2 which says a material produce to an ASTM spec. is considered to have the same S no. as an ASME material has P no.

I hope this answers your questions.

Your question also seems to be mixing weder qualification ranges and procedure qualification ranges. Which exactly are you talking abou in this situation?
Parent - - By Luke10 Date 02-26-2003 14:47
Sorry it my earlier message was confusing, I am concerned with base metal ranges on the WPQ. The info about the PQR was for background info.
Thanks for the tip about QW-420.2. Based on this, can I assume that my base metal range is S8 to S8 only or do I have a wider range? P8 to P8 has a base metal range of P1 thru P11 on the WPQ. Does this work the same way with S#s? Is my true base metal range S1 thru S11 or am I interpreting Qw-423.1/423.2 wrong?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-26-2003 15:12
If you look further in the code you may find that P1 also has a range of P1 thru 11 and 4x. If you are qualfiying welders, there is no need to use P-8/S-8 material unless you feel it will be a better representation of the work (Like Sch 10 SS) . And for GTAW there is acually no need to use SS filler metal since ER 70 and ER 3xx are F 6. This does not apply to SMAW for 300 series SS material.

Not to mention if you qualify without backing gas on CS then you also qualify with but not vice versa.

Have a nice day
G Austin
www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-26-2003 15:38
I think you may have your answers if you read QW-423.2, which says in summary that if a metal meets the mechanical and chemical analysis of a P No. material, it can be considered that P No. for the purposes of welder qualification. Also look at QW-423.1 under Qualified production base metal(s). when welders qualify with P No. 8 they are qualified for P No. 1 through P No. 11, P No. 34, and P4X along with any unassigned metals of similar chimical composition to these metals. Since P no. 1 through P no. 11 for the most part covers the whole range of ferrous base metals, it qualifies them for just about any ordinary ferrous base metal.

Additionally, more on the P no. vs S no. can be found in QW420.2 in the last paragraph where it says that qualifying with P No.s for welders qualifies for S No.s and vice versa.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Cert Question