Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Use of bar stock in welding
- - By soilschick (*) Date 10-05-2008 04:24 Edited 10-09-2008 20:50
I deleted my responses to my topic just to be on the cautious side.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-05-2008 13:31
Soilschick,
  That sounds alot like what is commonly refered to as slugging. Slugging is when one uses bar stock or the like to fill a void that would otherwise be to large to weld.

If I am not mistaken, this is a no-no under most codes.

For pics, just post then hit the attach option at the bottom of you post, browse for the desired pick and upload.

jrw159
Parent - - By soilschick (*) Date 10-05-2008 14:36
[deleted]
Parent - - By soilschick (*) Date 10-05-2008 14:52
[deleted]
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-05-2008 16:18
Hello soilschick, as John already stated, many of the codes will not allow for the sort of additions that your pictures have shown. In particular, D1.1 definitely doesn't allow the sorts of things that you have there. The other thing that wouldn't follow the code would be any of the use of a "60" series welding electrode for welding on structural other than decking materials. If there were any exceptions to these sort of things they would have to be noted exceptions by the EOR.
     In another post you had spoken of tilt-up concrete construction. There is a practice that is used in this case where the vertical wall panels will be connected with a plate that I know of by the name of a "butterfly connector". It is usually a 1/4" to 3/8" plate that is roughly 4" square with a 5/8" hole in the center of it and then it is sheared from the outer edge of the center of one of the sides to the center hole, allowing one edge to be split so that it can be driven into the crack between two of the imbeds and allow the two opposing edges to be welded to each of the walls that it is connecting. This is a different sort of case than the things that your photos are showing on a structural steel application. This connection point is also different than the connection that will be made where the vertical panels meet the footings or the floor. If there is a gap at this point it is not acceptable to slug, use bar stock as a spacer, or use a "dutchman" as some other folks refer to using additional filler other than weld metal. Instead it is expected that a weld padding process will be used to fill the gap and that any specified weld size will be met by the addition of beads until this has been accomplished. Just a few more thoughts for your consideration. Best regards, aevald

Just saw a few more of your pictures, WOW those are some real doosies!
Parent - By soilschick (*) Date 10-05-2008 16:25
That is what I thought.  I did reject what is shown is the pictures.  I was just double checking that I did not reject anything that was acceptable.  I have seen butterfly connectors and did not have a problem with them.  I am very thankful for this forum and the resources available.  Thank you guys! 

Joann
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-05-2008 19:58

>Just saw a few more of your pictures, WOW those are some real doosies!

Glad I don't live in Chicago.(if thats where these are)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-05-2008 22:50
I hope you included photographs in your report. These are prime examples of where a photograph is worth a thousand and one words (a mere thousand words would never completely describe these welds).

These connections will require the engineer's attention and will most likely require a "redesign". A filler plate is permitted (up to a point) when approved by the engineer, but eccentricity must be considered and the filler plate has to develop the load through the welds and the filler plate. Well beyond the capability of most welds (especially these "learn on the job" types).

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By soilschick (*) Date 10-06-2008 00:28
[deleted]
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-06-2008 02:49 Edited 10-06-2008 02:58
Do you know my friend Bob Hay from Flood Labs?

Al
Parent - - By soilschick (*) Date 10-06-2008 03:12
I took a few refresher courses taught by him two years ago.  When I met him, I was not a CWI yet.  But I know they are looking for another CWI.  It is a very small world.  Flood does most if not all the work in downtown.  I do not work for Flood but I work for another large national testing firm.  Flood is known for having the most certified steel inspectors/experts in our area.  I think they are working on the new Chicago Spire, I think.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-06-2008 03:16
It is amazing how small our community is. Especially NDT and inspection.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By soilschick (*) Date 10-06-2008 03:21
You are so right Al.  I admit you threw me for a loop when you mentioned Bob Hayes.  He seems to be a good guy and very knowledgable.  I bet I could throw out some erecting companies and you would know them.  ;)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Use of bar stock in welding