Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Economy pipe clamping system
- - By aevald (*****) Date 10-07-2008 19:19
Hello everyone, many of you out there have probably done something similar to this and maybe still do. For the new folks who don't have a lot of coin to drop on the commercially available systems designed for this purpose, here is an alternative that is relatively inexpensive and can be used for quite a few different uses. A piece of angle iron with a window cut out of it(or not) and a couple of vise-grip style chain clamps can be used for that third hand when you are fitting joints or tending to other line-up issues. As I mentioned, the old hands are readily aware of this sort of thing, but for many of the new folks or possibly those that don't fabricate on a daily basis this might be something new and could help them out. I have included a few pictures to explain all of my babbling. Hope some will benefit. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-07-2008 19:25
Allan,
  Very nice. I have seen this in the past, but never with the "window" that is great. :-)

John
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-07-2008 21:59
As always, nice work Allan. :-)

S.W.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 10-07-2008 23:27
Economy clamp!  Heck, those are my cadillacs!

Griff
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-08-2008 00:37
Hey Griff, I guess it's all in how you look at it. I don't have any of the really fancy ones so I just have to make due with what I have. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DJN87 (*) Date 10-09-2008 02:00
Very Nice
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-09-2008 04:12
Hi Allen,
I used to use the same setup for stabalizing base plates on columns, don't have any pictures. but you can clamp the angle on the plate and set it on the beam or tube to hold it up while tacking.
Regards, Carl
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-09-2008 04:32
Hello Carl, I believe I know exactly what you're referring to. Would find the centerline of the plate and measure half the thickness of the web of the column away from the centerline, line up the angle and clamp it to that line and then place the plate on the end of the column while it was on a set of horses in the horizontal position. The angle rests on the column web, allows you to center it the other way and then apply some tacks on the inside corners at the point where the baseplate meets the column end. Way easier than trying to hold it in position and tack it. Might just include some pictures of that too when I get some more time. Thanks for reminding me Carl. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-09-2008 13:13
Carl,
  We use this method daily in our shop. Very effective and much safer than trying to hold it and tack it.

jrw159
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-09-2008 13:54
When I did structural, I used them daily too. I even had one made for doing Pipe, with the angle running on the pipe the way Allen 's pic shows, with a plate on the end to hold Base plates.

Carl
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 10-09-2008 14:37
I like the window,  I hadn't seen that "option" before.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 10-09-2008 14:54
Looks good,would work well in the test shop.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-11-2008 04:08
The windiw is a good idea.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-11-2008 16:11
I"ll add my thanks to the group as well.  The window is a new one to me.  How often have I thought "would be nice to get a weld on the other side before I release the clamps". The simplest things sometimes escape us till someone else shows us how simple it is to do.

This is why I have loved this site.  The free and easy exchange of ideas and helpful advice.

Thanks Allen, and Have a great day.  Brent
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 10-13-2008 22:48
Yessir, my chain grips are probably the handiest tool in my tool box. From what aevald has shown,to chain gripping my umbrella to some steel, clamping three of them on pipe when roll welding to act as handles, and even when there's no place for my ground on piles, throw a chain grip on and now I have a place to clamp my ground. And If you don't mind aevald, I'm gonna use your idea of the window on the bottom. Good stuff man!
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-13-2008 23:50
Hello aevald,
We use similar to what you have shown but also a slight variety on what you have shown. A pair of C-grips (hope that is what you call them in the States) with a piece of 1 - 1.5" angle welded on each end. Make a little pivot point where they are welded on and they will adapt for various small bore sizes. Makes it quite easy if you are setting up on your own and need three hands.
Not as rigid as the set-up you use but great if you have got pipes on pipestands and you just need to get them into alignment.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By K.Sexton26 (**) Date 10-15-2008 02:33
mr. fender we use the same setup in the boilers over here we callem tube clamps, works good on 3" tubes and under
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-14-2008 18:06
I AGREE!!!! MY hats off to ya!
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 10-14-2008 22:30
And to think I spent 20 bucks on a Ridgid pipe welding vise at the pawn shop. Great little trick though.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-14-2008 23:19
Hello everyone, this is to all of the folks that replied and added additional substance to this post.
     For starters, I wish there was some sort of option to give multiple notifications to a post while only composing one, any possibilities of that Ross?
     The next thing I would like to add is the need for more of these sorts of things for everyone else out there who either has had limited experience or no experience in the fabrication and welding field or even to those who have had quite a bit of exposure. We have all seen something that we have said to ourselves, "why didn't I think of that before?". I run into that scenario all the time.
     Once again, different industries or geographical areas all have their little "tricks" and many times these things can apply to a host of different types of situations or areas of use. All of the "little" things that many of us do in the course of our work can be so beneficial for saving time and making a safer work environment and allowing us to better utilize our time. If you have read some of the responses and comments on this thread alone you can see how different folks use similar variations of the "pipe clamp set-up" for other equally important and time-saving applications. I hope that others might consider and include other topics that can help, improve, and simplify work for others. To all of you that have contributed additional information and suggestions a hearty THANK YOU and keep the ideas coming. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By thomasyyz (**) Date 10-23-2008 20:47
along those lines  I think a picture galery would be a good place to start and maybe a sub directory to give a few pointers on how it was made and material used.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-25-2008 00:30
Hello Thomas, thanks for the reply and also thanks for including your pictures on the other post. I don't know that the forum can support a photo gallery type offering, but I do understand your reasoning. I also believe it would be nice to have some of the various items that have been included here to be more readily recognizable and explained a bit better. I guess we don't know what the future holds, possibly something can be enabled or maybe a link to another site might be a workable thing. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By slagline 3 (**) Date 10-27-2008 19:04
Way to go aevald!, I have been using a version of these for years, but I guess it takes a true educator to make it come to life for all our fellow craftsmen.
I look forward to your straight forward illustrations and pictures.
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 10-31-2008 12:07
That's slick where did you get the chain type vise grips? I have never seen those before.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-31-2008 13:37
PipeIt,
  Every hardware store or welding supply most likely has these.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 10-31-2008 15:50
Cool I'll have to add them to my collection, I can't believe I haven't ran into something like that as I am a tool junky.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-08-2008 23:11 Edited 11-08-2008 23:13
PipeIt,
Don't forget to buy 2 extra pair, get the chain extensions and they will let you clamp up to 10 inch pipe. When working with the larger bores, using channel iron works better for me.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-09-2008 16:03
Need is the mother of invention.

Caution - Genius at work!

That is meant as a compliment!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 11-09-2008 18:04
I agree, the window is one that hadnt occured to me either.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Economy pipe clamping system