Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of Abrasion Resistant Steels
- - By APM (*) Date 02-28-2003 12:39
We are trying to determine what weld process will yeild a successful application when welding 1020 carbon steel to Abrasion Resistant steels. I will entertain any knowledge of both specific product & processes that you recommend.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-28-2003 13:54
Instead of welding abrasion resistant steels to SAE 1020, what I would do was to line the carbon steel by welding it with abrasion resistant eletrodes (it's called "cladding"). Have you considered this possibility?
Of course, the shape of the pieces under consideration, which I don't know, may preclude this possibility.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By APM (*) Date 02-28-2003 15:35
This was considered but will not work in this application
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-28-2003 18:57
Then my suggestion is the following:
Knowing the chemical composition of the abrasion resistant steel (ARS), which you know (or at least should know), get in touch with a couple of reputable eletrode manufactureres, such as Esab, Lincoln, Eutectic Castoline etc. and ask for their recommendation, i.e., what type of electrode within their fabrication line they recommend. Ask them to send you some literature on the eletrodes, i.e., catalogs, pamphlets, instructions sheets etc. and, of course, prices.
With this material on hand, you should be able to make up your own decision on which brand and type to use. Then, before buying the electrodes, ask the selected manufacturer to send you the written instructions on how to use them in your particular case. Written instructions are always better than verbal, which you can misunderstand or forget. Tell him: "No instructions, no purchase".
If any doubt arises before the job is complete, you can always give a telephone call to the supplier and ask for his advice.
Good luck
Giovanni

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-28-2003 19:08
Most suppliers should be happy to offer this information to you, like Giovanni said then you could make up your own mind as to which suites your application best.
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-28-2003 19:10
Don't forget to tell them what code/spec it has to satisfy.
JW
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of Abrasion Resistant Steels