Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of Abrasion Resistant Steels
- - By APM (*) Date 03-03-2003 12:43
We are trying to determine what weld process will yeild a successful application when welding 1020 carbon steel to Abrasion Resistant steels. I will entertain any knowledge of both specific product & processes that you recommend. Harfacing is not an option
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 03-03-2003 14:03
I have installed Hardox brand wear resistant plate (.41-.62 CEV) in dump trucks and as wear plates in construction equipment. The welding procedures I have may be specific to this brand of wear resistant steel (I don't have any info on the steel you are using).The bottom line here is to use a low hydrogen process. Very clean steel, good fit up and a well thought out welding sequence to minimize shrinkage. Preheat is recommended and is dependant on the thickness of steel. Post heat is recommended at the same temperature as the preheat with a soaking time of 30 minutes per .250" of plate, not less than one hour.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of Abrasion Resistant Steels