Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS QC2 statu
- - By Leon Crist Date 03-03-2003 15:48

AWS QC2 and Assocition of Americian Rail Roads

Currently AAR tank car standards reference AWS-QC2 as a method to Qualify weld inspectors, in house, and also as a reference document for Visual Inspection Certification.
Last month I ordered your publication AWS QC2-93 to explore the possibilities of using this option for, in house weld inspection and Visual Certification.
I have heard rumors that QC2 is no longer a current reference document. Is this true?
Would AWS sell me a document without referencing its inactive status?

What is the status of AWS QC2 ?

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-03-2003 16:08
Leon Crist,
I think the QC2-93 publication is a list of "recommendations" written for companies, to help them write procedures for training in-house inspectors.

If the job spec./code refrences a particular document, that is the document you need to work to.(even if it is out of date) I get jobs in our shop that the spec. refrences AWS D1.1:98 edition, but the 2002 edition is latest release. I'm only held to the requirements of the 98 edition on that job, unless they say "98 edition or latest". Then I need to work to the latest release of D1.1.

I don't think they would sell you a book that is out of date, but I've been wrong before.
Hope this helps,
John Wright
Parent - - By R. Johnson (**) Date 03-04-2003 18:47
QC-2 is a discontinuted recommended practice. It has been superseded by AWS B5.2:2001. The tank car NDE task force is revising the AAR requirements and someday it will probably reference B5.2. If you write your inhouse program to comply to B5.2 will will probably not have any trouble with the auditors, provided your tank car application outlines your training program.
Parent - By JRL88220 Date 05-13-2003 23:06
I wouldnt exactly say that QC-2 has been discontinued. It is specifically referenced in AWS D17.1 Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications as an acceptable method for the training, qualification and in-house certification of visual weld inspectors.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS QC2 statu