Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / maximum wind velocity while welding.
- - By stop Date 10-13-2008 21:58
I have a question about maximum wind velocity while welding. The majority of the welding I am inspecting is high pressure piping but the only place I found the reference to maximum wind velocity while welding is in D1.1 section 5.12 welding environment and it mentions GMAW, GTAW, EGW, FCAW-G, but it does not mention SMAW.  Can you help me find where maximum wind velocity while welding for SMAW on piping is in writing.
Thank you
stop!
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 10-13-2008 22:13
I would start with the applicable code (probably not AWS for high pressure piping) and also look at what the manufacture recommends.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-13-2008 23:41
Stop,
As hogan has stated it is generally the manufacturer that decides when the wind is excessive.
API 1104, B31.3 and B31.1 make no mention of maximum wind velocity, only that it shall not be detrimental to welding.
I think there are just too many variables to be able to list maximum wind velocities.
API 1104 Clause 7.5 ..."The company will decide if weather conditions are suitable for welding."
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By stop Date 10-14-2008 15:11
Shane And Hogan thank you for your wind information.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 14:28
There is no imposed restrictions on wind velocity when welding with SMAW. The decomposition of the flux covering generates the shielding gas in the immediate area of the molten weld puddle and the slag immediately covers the molten weld before it solidifies.

I would include wording to the effect that "as long as no white caps are observed in the molten weld puddle, welding can continue." All kidding aside, I've never encountered a problem with wind while welding with SMAW. If it is too windy to weld, it's probably too windy to be working.

Best regards - Al
- - By Abraham RodrĂ­gu Date 10-18-2015 20:20
AWS D1.1 2006 say that the maximun wind velocity is 5 miles per hours and AWS D1.1 1998 say tha tue maximun wind velocity is three miles per hours for GMAW, FCAW-G and GTAW. For SMAW, FCAW-S ans SAW do not say anything.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-19-2015 05:41
So, are you offering your opinion of old code provisions on a 7 year old thread question?  Or, are you asking a question about how the issue of wind speed is handled by the code? 

But, the 98 code is not under consideration at the time of the OP nor now. 

Everything I have available in front of me from 06, 08, and 2010 all say 5 mph that winds should be reduced to be shelters.

Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / maximum wind velocity while welding.